Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     12 August 2009

issue of passport.

Hi friends,

Let me know whether it is mandatory to submit marriage certificate  if we apply for passprot along with other documents needed, if one is married and if he/she has not got the marriage registered..?

I know registration is compulsory in many States. But in case the couple have not registered , it is a reason on which issue of passport is witheld..?

Learning

9 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     12 August 2009

A woman applying for change of name/surname in existing passport due to marriage must furnish: 

(i) Photocopy of the Husband’s passport, if any, and

(ii)An attested copy of marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriage OR an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph, (Specimen at Annexure D).  

aruntrivedi (lawyer)     12 August 2009

you can submit an Affidavit-cum-declaration in support for passport. you can get it registered even today itself even if anybody had married 50 years back. else you can get not recorded certificate from marriage registrar and thereafter a supportive affidavit can sold your problem.

Sir in case a married couple is applying for their passport for the first time, then..?

my reply is self explanatory - this is for apply of passport for first time.

Sir, are you saying that marriage certificate is necessary for getting a passport for married couples..?

No I do not say so - if marriage is registered only you can surnish certificate but in case of my father and mother who married in 1939 there was no procedure of marriage registration. My parents got passport and they travelled long back.

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     12 August 2009

Originally posted by :Y.Prakash
"

An attested copy of marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriage OR an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph, (Specimen at Annexure D).  
"

Hi, 

I have clearly indicated that an affidavit in Annexure Dformat  needs to be filed. Annexure D is as floows:

ANNEXURE ‘D’

SPECIMEN AFFIDAVIT TO BE SUBMITTED ALONG WITH APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT BY A WOMAN APPLICANT FOR CHANGE OF NAME AFTER MARRIAGE (JOINT AFFIDAVIT TO BE SUBMITTED ALONG WITH HER HUSBAND)

(To be executed on non-judicial stamp paper)

We    1………………………………………………………………………………

(maiden name of wife)

2.……………………………………………………………………………….

(name of husband)       

solemnly declare and affirm as under:

1.That we are married under ……………………….Marriage Act/Rights/Customs and are living together as married couple since……………………………………………

(date of marriage)

2..That ……………………………….. would henceforth be known as …………………

(maiden name of wife)                                                    (name of wife after marriage)

by virtue of our marriage.

3.That our joint photograph is affixed below.

Date:

Signature & address of Deponents

1……………………….

2………………………

Note:       1.  This affidavit may be sworn before a Magistrate/Notary.

2. The joint photograph of the couple is to be pasted on the bottom left hand side of the affidavit paper and attested by the Magistrate/Notary with his/her signature and rubber stamps (half on the photograph and half on the affidavit)

3.   Declaration 2 above to be ignored by applicants who seek endorsement of name of spouse in respect of reissue of a previously issued passport.     

Raman ( )     12 August 2009

If one doesn't show the marriage certificate then the name of the spouse will not be mentioned in the Passport. It is as equivalent as applying for an individual passport. 

Actually they should ask Passport details to register a marriage not vice versa ... :) That would be more logical to me !

Raman Sir, I am convinced with your answer. My question simply was can a married person get a passport without producing the marriage certificate..? 

And thank you all for the replies.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register