LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nidhish (Dir)     19 December 2013

Am i a tenant?

I am staying in my uncles flat in Pune. I am not paying any rent. While I am using two rooms, my uncles household things are also in use in the house. In addition, his other items are kept in a packed condition in one room, the keys of which are with me. My uncle is based in Mumbai and visits once in a while.

Am I a tenant? Is it compulsory for me to get my police verification done? Am I supposed to pay Society Charges at a higher rate than an apartment owner?

Learning

1 Replies

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     19 December 2013

Sir,

The definition of a family according to the MCS Act is:

"Family Member means: Group of persons which includes Husband, Wife, Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, Son, Daughter, Son-in-Law, Brother-in-Law, Sister-in-Law, Daughter-in-Law, Grandson & Grand-Daughter.

Non-Occupancy Charges CANNOT be levied to the above family-members of the bonafide  Member.  However, intermittent joint-stay of other family members OR friends, will not attract Non-Occupancy Charges."

You may not be considered a family member according to the definition, neither you can be bracketed with intermittent joint-stayer, as I understand that you reside there permanently.

Under the circumstances, you or your uncle may be asked to pay 10% extra of the maintenance charges.

Good Luck,

Kishor Mehta

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register