Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vijay Kumar (Member)     15 October 2012

What can labour dept do to a small private employer?

I am Business man engaged in selling clothes in Ranchi, I have employed 6-7 tailors on a permanent basis, recently an official from labour department visited my shop and called for employee register and all records (including salary register) etc., All of which I dont maintain being in a very small business. He also took names of all the employees, Further more, He has called me in his office. Can somebody please suggest if I fall withing labour jurdiction and will it make any sense going to his govt. office? Can Labour department book any charges against me for not maintain records or any how?? Please help

Learning

5 Replies

Ankit Ahjolia (IR Officer)     15 October 2012

If State government by notification has declared the enforecement of this act to your city under shops and establishment act then you will have to register under shops and establishment act and follow the provisions under the same...like minimum wages, opening hours, closing hours, weekly holiday etc. And since the labor office inspected your shop then you will have to loosen up your pocket because you have to register under the shops and establishment act within 30 days from the date of commencement of the work.

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     15 October 2012

Yes, you fall under Shops & Establishment Act. You shall have to comply with all the formalities & requirements as prescribed in the said Act. 

There is no sence in not going to the office of the labour department though you have not got anything in writing. It seems the person will take some money from you & leave you. After  the visit to  the office is over,  comply with the formalities in future.

M.S.R.Murty ( Manager (Admn))     15 October 2012

Dear Mr. Kumar,

You need not worry of visiting Labour Officials to your shop.  Please be comply with the  suggessions made by them and try to maintain such registers.  Your staff will be benefitted with lot of schemes which extended by the Labour welfare Division.  And once you have registered with the Labour Department, your staff will have more confidence on you.  Minimum wages which prescribed by the Department is all most  par to the wages which being observed by  all.    

JANAK RAJ VATSA (ADVOCATE)     16 October 2012

you need to registered your business under the shops and establishment act. you should visit the office and comply with their advice for your betterment.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 October 2012

every law is for  compliance

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register