LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil Datte (Engineer)     14 October 2012

Is service tax liable to pay

An advocate running a consultancy firm (where he/she provides various services, like Tax, BOA, Legal Counselling and the turnover is less than 9 lakh, is he/she liable to register and pay for service tax in this case.

Your advice is appreciated(QFCACI) 

Learning

6 Replies

Sivadas Chettur (Chartered accountant)     14 October 2012

There is an exemption for small service providers whose gross receipts are less than 10 Lac per year. Apart from this I think the services rendered by an individual advocate is not liable to tax . I shall confirm that later.

Sivadas Chettur (Chartered accountant)     14 October 2012

Yes. An advocate in practice as an individual is exempt from ST vide Mega exemption notification NO 25/2012 dt 20-06-2012. So you need not worry about ST at all.

Ashok Jogalekar (AGM-Indirect Taxation)     15 September 2013

The individual / firm of advocate/s is exempted from payment of service tax, but, the receiver of the service is liable to pay service tax under reverse charge mechanism.

vipin gaur (Asssistant manager admin)     19 November 2013

I want to know that Is there any service tax applies on EDC and IDC in property.

Thanks

Ashok Jogalekar (AGM-Indirect Taxation)     20 November 2013

With regard to applicability of Service Tax on EDC / IDC charges following is position:

Sl. NO Charges  Rate of Service tax 
  EDC/IDC  
1 On Actual  Payment Basis Not Taxable (Provided Development charges , to the extent they are paid to state Government, or local bodies)
2 On Adhoc basis without disclosing actual charges Full amount is Taxable
3 Actual Charges plus own service charge   Only own service charges are taxable 

Harendra Kumar (A Practicing Lawyer)     02 December 2013

In my view A Individual & A Partnership Firm not eligible to pay and collection in way of Advocacy & consultancy and the receiver of the service is liable to pay service tax under reverse charge mechanism. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register