LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ricky (RMO)     21 September 2012

False dv case

I am a Person of Indian Origin in UK. I married an Indian woman in 2008 in India under the Hindu Marriage Act. It was an arranged marriage. Of course prior to the marriage, there was no mention that she had severe mental health problems. This was revealed in part only after marriage. 

She came to the UK after three months after obtaining dependent visa. Then gradually the marriage started deteriorating, due to her behaviour and attitude. She never did any house work and was not interested in working outside. She then started levelling allegations against me about 'sleeping' with my female friend pre-maritally. I realised later that she was flirting with her ex-boyfriend over the internet, calling me and my family members names and mentioning that she had married me for money. Her behaviour worsened with time and she was unreasonable at all time, shouting all the time & talking ill about my family members. I informed her father, who apologised for this and then asked for her to be sent home for a few days. She then returned after 3 months, but there was no change in her behaviour. Finally, I had run out of patience and decided to split. We separated in 2010, and I decided to wait for 2 years (as required by law here) to apply for divorce.

In the meantime, she filed a case against me (and my parents in India) in 2011 end under PWDV Act 2005, stating that we had tortured her for dowry. She had even stated that the jewels in the locker had been taken by my parents, even though she had taken it. The petition is full of lies with not a single true statement. The Interimn order is due out shortly. I have submitted all the emails sent by her and her father, which contradict their statements in the petition.

I would like some advise about the best course of action in this matter. It's obvious that all this is being done to extricate money using the gender biased law, and black-mailing me as my parents are there. 

If I file for divorce here, would it have any effect on the case in India?

Can my mother file a case of mental harrassment against her using the same act?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register