Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sanjay (executive)     28 June 2012

Bank accounts/financial details

Dear Learned Forum members,

Can the police track all  bank account and investment/financial details of an absconding criminal. I mean how can the police find out how many bank accounts are there in various banks of an absconding criminal.

Learning

12 Replies

ravindra (Analyst)     28 June 2012

If Police knows bank a/c no then they can track. if any account they dont know then answer is NO

1 Like

Thanks a Ton for answering that. I hope same is the case with immovable properties[house/lands etc]. Can police find out their details. The absconding criminal may be having several houses in various parts of the country.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 June 2012

Majority of the banks have implemented CBS soloution and KYC norms.The bank can track all accounts.It is felt that to fascilitate the ITax authorities all banks's data is to be centralised.Hence it shall be possible to track all accounts in all banks on a sinlgle command.Police may require requisite approval to access the details.

But how do the police know among several hundred banks in india in which bank  the absconding criminal is having the account. Will the police go to each and every bank in india with the name of the absconding person and search in each bank. Moreover there are thousands of people with the same name in this country. According to me its a near impossible job by police to track absconding person's bank/financial details.

KYC norms include Photograph, DOB proof, address proof,copies of ID proof,PAN number and copy.

It is difficult to assume that many people shall have resembling face, have same father, mother's maiden name,PAN number, same address, same ID proofs. A CBS branch can apply filters and on one command can search customers by DOB,PAN number name etc..

Police may require requisite approval to access the details.

I got your point but still you didn't got my point. Will the police go to each and every bank in india and on the basis of my name , photo ,pan etc trace financial details of the culprit. And what about property ; the culprit may be be having houses in many parts of india how is police going to trace all these.

Try to understand.Police doesn't have to go to all branches. From any CBS branch all india detail of accounts can be accessed.Police usually deal thru Nodal Officer/HO of the bank. Usually in each Police Commissioner/SSP office there is staff who does it.

Land records at all locations are not computerised. If the polcie has an information it can obtain the record.

Great. So police can at any time seize bank accounts[section 82,83 of crpc] of any absconding culprit. But are you sure that police won't be able to track his residential properties. Please can I have your number Can I call you for a quick 5 minutes. I will be highly relieved if you can share your valuable 5 minutes over the phone.

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     28 June 2012

Police can conduct search of the house of accused through the warrant issued by authorized official/magistrate and seize diaries, passbooks, credit, debit cards anything that they can find at home which can help them to trouble the accused containing important details.

sk mohataji (proprietor)     29 June 2012

kumar doab,

your patience in explaining the minutest of details is appreciable. keep it up.

rgds

sanjay (executive)     29 June 2012

OK. So the point is that police will search in the house of the culprit and if it finds some documents relating to banks or properties it will seize them. Now the big question what if the culprit absconded with all the bank/financial /properties documents with him. How is the police going to find out his bank/financial /properties details.

In the post there was a mention of CBS. I would like to clarify that CBS may be maintained by several banks but still its not the same CBS which is followed by all banks. CBS means central banking system ; its a software that banks manintain and different banks have different CBS. Its right that yes if you want to track a particular account in all branches of a bank ; you can do so. but tracking a particular account in all the banks in india seems to be near impossible reason being there is no centralised system in the country which keeps a track of all the bank/financial details of a person. If it would have been so then the government would have known each and every person's black money.

Talking about property details. There is no system in the country which keeps a track of property details of a person because land and property comes under state government and the registration of property is not centralized.In fact in many places its still manual. How can police go to each and every registrar office of  a district and check absconding culprit's property details.

sanjay (executive)     29 June 2012

OK. So the point is that police will search in the house of the culprit and if it finds some documents relating to banks or properties it will seize them. Now the big question what if the culprit absconded with all the bank/financial /properties documents with him. How is the police going to find out his bank/financial /properties details.

In the post there was a mention of CBS. I would like to clarify that CBS may be maintained by several banks but still its not the same CBS which is followed by all banks. CBS means central banking system ; its a software that banks manintain and different banks have different CBS. Its right that yes if you want to track a particular account in all branches of a bank ; you can do so. but tracking a particular account in all the banks in india seems to be near impossible reason being there is no centralised system in the country which keeps a track of all the bank/financial details of a person. If it would have been so then the government would have known each and every person's black money.

Talking about property details. There is no system in the country which keeps a track of property details of a person because land and property comes under state government and the registration of property is not centralized.In fact in many places its still manual. How can police go to each and every registrar office of  a district and check absconding culprit's property details.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register