Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     28 April 2009

Difference between Credit,ATM and debit card

Dear Sir/Madam,

I want to know about the difference between

the atm card,debit card and credit card?

Learning

9 Replies

Shree. ( Advocate.)     28 April 2009

If you have money balance in your account, you use ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) cards, which is a Debit card.

If you do not have balance in your account, you will use a Credit card, which is equal to borrowing.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     28 April 2009

A Debit card can act as an ATM card but an ATM card cannot be used as a debit card while making purchases at outlets

A V Vishal (Advocate)     28 April 2009

What is the difference between a Credit Card and a Debit Card?

The Debit Card is a deposit access product where you are using your own money in your bank account through the Debit Card. Whereas the Credit Card can be called as an equivalent of a loan forwarded by the bank whenever you are using it. You get a temporary credit for an average of 45 days depending on the card issuer and billing cycle. 

What is the difference between an ATM Card and a Debit Card?

Most of the Debit Cards issued by banks are also ATM cards. Hence they are also sometimes called as "Debit cum ATM card". While ATM Cards can only be used to access cash, Debit Cards can be used to make purchases at retail shops in the same way Credit Cards are used.

You can identify a Debit Card by the VISA or Mastercard symbol. 
Debit Cards carry the VISA “Dove” Hologram and the VISA Electron/VISA flag on the right hand side, OR the Mastercard Hologram and symbol on the right hand side.
An ATM card will not have these symbols.

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     30 April 2009

Lrd Frinds Shre and Vishl explained in detail about  the defenrce between the  Debt Card and  Credit Card

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     07 May 2009

Thank you members for the valuable contributions.

Sumit Jain (Business)     26 May 2009

thank all

Arjun Thakkar (CS)     28 May 2009

boss

ATM- will give you only cash from your A/c at any ATM Centre only

Debit card - you can withdraw cash as well as swipe it for purchases. amount will be deducted from your A/c

Cr. Card - it will give cash and you can swipe as well but its a loan kind of thing whic you will have to pay later

amudhan (advocate)     26 June 2009

it is good to know better by approach any banking people more, and let them give their right suggestions without hiding anything.

because in my experience, i am having debit card in icici bank, i kept Rs.6000 in account, but i dont have any transaction for the past 1 year, but instead of giving me interest, the bankers wipe away my entire money and send me notice that i owe them. i don't know what to say.

so pls any of the bankers please give correct picture for this problem. give right suggesstions for the use of credit, debit and atm card usage.

kartikeya (lawyer/cyber law consultant/cyber crime investigator)     26 June 2009

ATM card
An ATM card can be used at any ATM machine, however if you go to one that is not affiliated with your bank you will be assessed a fee by both that ATM machine and probably by your bank as well. An ATM card can also be used at any location that accepts the "debit" transaction - where you enter in your pin number for charges. An ATM card has a lower limit on it than a Debit/Check Card..

Credit card

A credit card allows you to borrow money when making purchases. The money isn't directly debited from your bank account at the time of purchase; instead, you are sent a bill every month for the sum total of your purchases.

Debit card

The word debit means subtract and, as the name suggests, your debit card will subtract money from your account each time you use it.

A debit card has several of the advantages of a credit card in terms of convenience and reducing the use of cash and checks. Furthermore, you can use it as an ATM card as well, to withdraw cash from your account and carry out other ATM transactions.

However, you can't use a debit card to obtain credit. This can be an advantage since you can only buy what you can afford.

Furthermore, you don't have to worry about making regular payments or paying interest rates and penalties if you forget to make a payment. In that sense, a debit card is more convenient than a credit card.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register