Share More

AEJAZ AHMED (Legal Consultant/Lawyer)     24 February 2009

MOTHER SELLS NEWBORN TO PAY HOSPITAL BILLS

MOTHER SELLS NEWBORN TO PAY HOSPITAL BILLS

Dated : 24 Feb 2009, 1718 hrs IST,

Source :  PTI

HYDERABAD:

Text: 

In a heart-rending incident, a young poverty-stricken single mother in Andhra Pradesh sold her newborn son to a childless couple for Rs  6,000 rupees so that she could pay her medical bill in a government hospital.

"My financial position is really bad," a distraught looking Rajitha (20) who could not afford the Rs 2,000 hospital fee said from her bed at the government area hospital in Kothagudem in Khammam district today.

She delivered the baby by Caesarean section last week and the infant changed hands within 24 hours.

Police said they would take action against the hospital which also faces an inquiry whether its doctors took any money as bribe from the woman.

"Buying and selling a baby is an offence, so we will be booking cases," Kothagudem revenue division officer P Rajaram said.

According to reports, a rickshaw driver friend gave the single mother Rs 6,000 for the baby, which he planned to bring up with his wife. The couple have no children.

The incident occurred in the parliamentary constituency of Union minister of state for women and child development Renuka Chowdhury.

"At least, she is safe and at least the child is not dead and not killed. I think they are the most important things that we need to look at," Chowdhury said. 

Learning

9 Replies

(Guest)

what an outrageous response by ms.choudhary. but again, expected from her. 

I sympathise with the woman though. i am sure she was in a spot with regards to the bill that she had to take such a drastic step. and that too at a government hospital. 

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     24 February 2009

Dear Aejazji,

What a shame for this Country that such thing can happen in the Country Of Mahatma gandhi, who said" To a man with empty stomach, Food is God" All criminal Lawyers in the Country should hang this words in their chamber:

AEJAZ AHMED (Legal Consultant/Lawyer)     24 February 2009

Vinodkumar Kotabagi (Advocate and Trademark Attorney)     25 February 2009

SOCIETY IS LOSING MORAL VALUES AND IS GETTING CRUEL DAY BY DAY. LAW AND ORDER IS UTTERLY FAILING.

ARE WE ONCE AGAIN MOVING TO THE PRIMITIVE STAGE WHERE ANARCHY PREVALIED AND THE MAN WAS NASTY, BRUTAL????????

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     25 February 2009

It appears we are living back in Hobbsean period!

Pradeep (Advocate)     25 February 2009

Ms. Chowdhury is busy in protecting the rights of Pubgoing women... and neither she, nor her government has any time to look into these silly matters..

see how biased our media is .. if something happens with the constituency of Karnataka's home minister, they call him inefficient and communal..

but this incident is a fault of the society, not of the govt...!!

Pradeep (Advocate)     25 February 2009

i want to ask something .. who gave us the right of moral policing ? let the girls or children be sold, it is left to their descretion and individual liberty... (precedent set by media in  Mangalore Pub case)

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     16 March 2009

certainly there are sad situations. last year i learnt in a news paper that a mother in Bihar sold her baby for Rs.20/ ( twenty rupees)only.

i remember a line of hindi poem " narak se hi bacha lo is dharitri ko swarg lane ka abhi mausam nahi hai"

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     16 March 2009

such things compelled me to form "Socio-Legal Sensitization Society".  it has members from all over India and most of the members are lawyers and Law professors. all of you are also welcome to joine the same. you may email your expression of interest with father's name, adress and your interest area in scio-legal problems to: dr.vntripathi@yahoo.com . mob. 09839527421 phone 0532-2545245.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register