LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     25 December 2010

Filing divorce first advantages

If you plan on filing for divorce, there are many benefits of being the one who takes the first step. Divorce is never easy, no matter who files for it. It's going to be a time of turbulence and emotional stress. You're saying goodbye to one life and hello to another. As cliché as it all sounds, it's plain tough to go through a divorce.

although u shud file it only if you are 100 percent sure you two cannot live peacefully a life and there are no chances left for reconciliation.

Complaint
Initial complaints made against a spouse are taken a tiny bit more seriously if you file first. When allegations are made when a divorce has been filed, there is a question if the allegations are true or merely an attempt at revenge.

This benefit doesn't hold out for long, though, as a simple investigation can usually uncover the truth. But it does make it more likely you will be the first to speak and air your grievances at the hearing.

also its not easy to reply to a well drafted petition which is based on solid evidence, so in a fault based system u are more likely to win a divorce in ur favour.

Control
There is often a play for control during a divorce. By being the first one to file, you are initially asserting yourself in control of the situation. You are showing your ability to make an independent choice and the will to follow it through. This sense of control can be useful as a strategic tool during the divorce.

jurisdiction
By being the first one to file for a divorce, you may get to determine what area the divorce proceedings will be held in. This usually means you get to pick the jurisdiction the divorce occurs in. If you and your spouse live in different areas, this choice is a huge benefit. They'll end up having to do all the traveling while you'll only need to drive a few minutes to the local courthouse.

Emotion:
A big benefit to being the one filing for divorce is that you are more likely to be emotionally ready - or at least prepared - for the coming storm. You know that you want the marriage to end and are ready to deal with the inevitabilities involved with this decision.

For males only :

if u file divorce first against an abusive wife and u know u are just and have proofs against her u can avoid many ill effects of so called biased laws like 498a

Learning

10 Replies

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     27 December 2010

Very Good Avnish Ji, please eloborate further on thios issue as i am requesteing time and again my wife to come back home for last 8=9 months through mail ,sms, phone, relativers etc. but she is not ready and wants her undue demands be metd first and i have serious doubt that after i accept her undue demands she wil be back or will file cases on us. I  sincerely want her back .

What should i do.The problem actiully is due to childrens.We have married for the seond time .I am widower with one child and she is divorcee with one child the main issues are related to chidlfen and more of her child who mis behaves with others and whenever some one objects complaint to mother and she starts arguing and beating others.

Atuliya (Student)     27 December 2010

Hi Avnish,

Please clarify how filing divorce first gives an advantage "u can avoid many ill effects of so called biased laws like 498a"

I know somebody who file for divorce. As a counter blast his wife has file for divorce also proceedings under the PWDVA and 498A/406.

As for the jurisduiction she has moved the SC to shift the jurisdiction to her doorstep and from what I hear the judges are more inclined to favor the females on the plea that they cannot travel alone etc.

Your valuable inputs will be highly appreciated.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     27 December 2010

mr bhaskar file RCR thru expert matri lawyer.

mr atuliya if ur wife files 498a AS a counterblast its very gud for u. if she files 498a first then u have more chances of getting trapped.

as a counterblast 498a will  create a serious doubt in mind of judge, and creating this doubt is the best thing for u, as criminal cases run on theory of beyond reasonable doubt proofs for conviction. this doubt factor means easy bail and no conviction.

regarding tranfer yes while transferring there are several factors are considered by SC and more so fair s*x is favoured. but fight it tooth and nail and u have 40% chances of avoiding transfer. favour tilt is only 10%.

for more details contact an expert matri-criminal lawyers group.

1 Like

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     28 December 2010

Hi Avnish Ji,

I am ready to file RCR but somone has advised not to do so as first of all she may file differnt cases and ask for maintenance and secondly she can come for a short period and go back again to defeat the purpose of RCR and has advised to file divorce on ground of cruelty and desertion.

She has physically hurted me many times which i had conveyed to her on mails and slips of doctor ,X-ray etc.to prove that,she got abortions done without my consent, she beated my child and other childs in the family,servant, she refused to have s*x a number of times and told many times that she will not see me, she told me that she loves her ex more than me , she misbehaved in front of my relatives ,sshe topped preparing food and talking to us a number of times etc.etc.

Please advise what is the safest mode of her bringing back or giving divorce.

(Guest)

RCR can be dubble edged sword.

If you win RCR and she does not come -- it become a ground of divorce.

If you win and she joins - it is good if marriage works, but if she comes and starts her old ways -- your life will become more miserable.

If you loose - it will go against you in your divorce case.

So please take next steps depending upon which of the above scenarios appears more likable in your situation

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     28 December 2010

Thanks Avinash Ji, But because of reasons mentioned by you i am not able to take any action till date. That is why i am asking for advice. Thanks

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     28 December 2010

mr. bhaskar first decide urself , if u want to live with her or not. if not and u can prove her actions listed above , u will get divorce on basis of cruelty.

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     29 December 2010

Avnish Ji,

Time and again i have exchanged mails with her mentioning all these incidents, will that

be a proof itself or not.

Although i want her back but she is not ready to mend her ways and moreover her parents are supporitng her in all this.

Keeping in view above incidents please advise what to do.

Thanks

Atuliya (Student)     29 December 2010

Mr. Bhaskar,

Sorry to interject between you and Avnish. But from your posts let me tell you very bluntly [you may feel ofended but can't help it] you are wasting your time weighing various options. From the various posts that you have submitted, I'd say you need to gwet up and get real. You have little option but choose and proceed for Divorce on grounds of Cruelty & Desertion.

All your mails and sms etc will come to your aid when she seeks maintenance. From your posts above it is evident that you have all the ingredents for Cruelty meted out to you.

The most essential requirement for you to succeed will be a well drafted petition. Rather in superlative degrees it should be the BEST. I emphasise on a good petition because most lawyers tend to churn out petitions rather than individually draft them based on the merits of the individual case.

Cheers & Good luck to you.

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     15 January 2011

Avnish Ji/Atulya Ji and other Experts<

Please also advise whether whether filing application for Mediation will have any positive impact on divorce petition if she do not turn up for mediation.

Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register