Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anand Sharma (Sr. Design Analyst)     04 October 2010

Helping the desperate poor around us.

Greetings Mr. Lawyers,

I am a Senior Designer Analyst with Cadence in the Informix Core. I was born and brought up in Delhi. I spent a considerable time after graduation touring the Slum/Semi Urban and UnPlanned Areas in and around Delhi.

In 2009, I and my colleagues called a group of ParaMedics (on our expenses) to help us in disseminating information on Social Security (Occupational/Medical) offered by Government in Ghaziabad. We guys also gave Immunization Schedule to expecting women.

Though I got hired by a top paying employer in IT sector but this is not my destination. I have enough money and other income sources as well to go on with my current life style. Also, some of my friends want to have a small break now to take up voluntary work full time. They got shocked when they entered these shambles, broken homes, bad living conditions and above all a total lack of information. Our poor don't even know what basic rights they have living in this country.

I would therefore now like to take all this volunatary work next step, by helping these guys with legal opinion of all depth entirely free of cost and Medical Help and Creating a system for reporting their distress to International Human Rights Assoc./Media. As my colleagues join in, We are deciding to pool in money from our own pockets and Saint Mary Cathedral FBCA, Austin Texas.

I wanted to go for General Law but I can't commit myself for 3 Years on a fix schedule (Since I also need to take care of my Family Business). I can't go for a Regular Course. Evening and Distance are de-recognized by BCI. The other option I have is hiring a Lawyer/Consultant on the roll or on Contract. I don't want to go for this option since I am not sure about volume of work as we start.

What is the option I have to be able to practise or counsel in Delhi/Adj. Areas without a full time degree in hand?

Thanks,
Anand Sharma.

Learning

1 Replies

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     06 October 2010

I personally believe that the current mode of imparting education through regular classes at colleges/universities is outdated. More and more learning opportunities are available online for the one who wants to learn. Universites should focus on evaluating what a student has learnt instead of forcing the student to sit it useless classroom lectures. How one learns, whether from classroom lecuters, books, or online, should be immaterial.

I am a Computer Engineer myself from a top Institution and had a great job abroad. I studied law at the age of 32 with pretty much the same objective as you, so I understand the situation that you are in w.r.t family obligations etc.

With that in mind, you might want to join LLB course at a govt. college in some remote place/state, where they don't check attendence too much. Most of the state Univs and colleges are pathetic in terms of enforcement of attendence or evaluation. One can easily pass the exams with one week of study. This will leave you enough time to attend to your family business as well as to actually learn the law.

Check out my site at hanumant.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register