LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     11 June 2010

Statements u/s 164 Cr.P.C. can be read after death of witnes

In a case of u/s366, 376/511that i m handling the procecutrix has died before coming in witness box. But during investigation she deposed under section 164 Cr.P.C. against my client and charged attempt to rape and abduction upon him. And before filing of charge sheet she committed suicide. Because whatever she depose was under pressure and tutored by her father who was a police officer. She was in love and committed marriage and by the act of her deposition she felt guilty and frustration. following this cause she tends to suicide.

Now the problem is that the IO and  the magistrate who took the statement came in the witness box and exhibited the statement u/s 164 cr.p.c. It is sole evidence against my client. 

Please refer judgement pertinent to this subject. Can this statement be rigid evidence or it cannot be read in evidence in the light of  sec 30 of evidence act???

Learning

2 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     12 June 2010

Refer the case as reported in 1985 (1) Cri LC 199.

anil kumar (law student, ex IPS)     21 April 2011

Without cross examination the sanctity of any statement even though it happens to be a statement under 164crpc, is seriously eroded as per sec 138 , 145of the evidence act r/w sec 162 of the Crpc. Without cross a serious prejudice is caused to the accused

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register