LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mahesh Karkare   23 January 2018

Buying out brother's share of pagadi house

My Parents lived in a pagadi rental house with the rent receipt in my father’s name. My brother and I used to live with them but now are settled abroad. My father expired 2 yrs ago. My mother now lives in the house. However because the house is on the 4th floor without a lift, my mother bought a second house around 4-5 kms from the current house.

My brother does not want the headache of maintaining the pagadi house. Even though the landlord is on friendly terms, is not transferring the rent receipt in my mother name. My brother is willing to give up claims to the pagadi house if I give him equivalent amount of money. My mother is willing to support my claim to the pagadi house but wants to live in the ownership house.

I want to know:

1. Can my brother legally give up all claims to a pagadi house when the rent receipt is not in his name?

2. I still hold Indian citizenship and travel to India at least once a year, how often do I have to keep coming to India to legally maintain possession of the house?

3. As a tax question, if we sell the pagadi house, do we have to pay tax on the proceeds?

Learning

7 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 January 2018

You have posted factual position of your deceased father being tenant.

Tenant cannot sell the premise and only owner can sell.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 January 2018

You have posted that you travel to India and are Indian Citizen. You have also posted that landlord/owner is on friendly terms with you. You have posted that you, other, brother all have left the premises. IT is felt that when you visit India apply your friendly relations with owner and settle the matter on amicable terms…..and owner may even agree to pay some amount for all of you…………..or to sell to you or may ask you to vacate….

You can accordingly settle the matter as suitable to you.

Mahesh Karkare   25 January 2018

Mr Doab, what do you mean by "settle matter on friendly terms". I do not want to 'sell' the house as the price will be very low as compared to if the property goes to redevelopment. I am willing to hold the property for many years more.

The question still stands:

1. Can my brother legally give up all claims to a pagadi house when the rent receipt is not in his name? 
2. how often do I have to keep coming to India to legally maintain possession of the house? 

3. Can I ask the landlord to transfer the rent receipt in my mother and my name?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 January 2018

Dear LCI Querist Mr. Karkare What do you mean when you ask anyone ……………..What do you mean by………..!

Who has prompted you to ask such question in such manner!

You may share the details.

I have tried my level best to help.

What do you mean by selling the property, while you were never owner of the property!

In your previous posts you did not mention location of the property (City/State) and also did not mention that the said property is going for redevelopment……. And if there exist any agreement by deceased tenant with landlord….

Based on whatever was posted by you the impressions were posted e.g; Mother (wife of deceased tenant) left the rented house s she bought another house, you and your brother (sons of deceased tenant) left the rented house and left abroad……..the landlord has not transferred the tenancy in favor of any of the legal heirs….and that since the landlord is o friendly terms with you, you cans settle the matter amicably on any of the potions found most suitable by you…………..

The landlord may agree to your proposal(s)…….including transfer of tenancy……….if suitable and acceptable……………. 

Although your mother is willing to support you (which may mean signing some kind of document say; NOC for say transfer of tenancy) why would you…………… or anyone pay anyone (say you pay your brother) for signing some kind of document (say; NOC for say transfer of tenancy) to get right that will fetch some benefit say; said sale if building goes for redevelopment….

Remember the legal heirs of the deceased tenant can be deemed tenant IF and Only If IT is possible per provisions of some agreement and enactments ……………and more so provision that covers your situation i.e. legal  heirs are no more staying the premise for the purpose premise was take on rent…

The question of tax arises if any official payment is made per provisions of some enactment or ………say agreement….  And tax saving might be possible in such case!

In any case you may approach in person a very able senior LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in such/civil matters and well versed with local laws/rules and having successful track record…with whatsoever documents you have.

Your own LOCAL counsel can advise you on the circumstances posted by you in your 1st post and any other inputs that you have not posted in the thread……..including reply to subsequent points in subsequent posts…

OR if you are yourself aware of the provisions of any enactment that covers your situation and you are properly informed and can proceed as PIP go ahead……

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register