LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ajay Shukla (AGM)     17 July 2017

Property co-owner inheritance

I purchased a house from a government society entirely from my own salary. The society also allotted the house in my name only. I have got the house registered and the name of my wife is also included as co-owner. What is the law of succession? Can I will the entire property to anyone or only my share? What is my share because n such thing is mentioned in the deed of registration? I am confused about "tenants-in common" and "joint-ownership"

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 July 2017

Go thru type of society, bye laws and model bye laws framed in accordance  with model bye laws...................

Succession may prevail. 

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     17 July 2017

By adding your wife as an associate member she would not be a party to property rights in respect of your flat. If your wife contributes for acquisition of flat or if you release your property rights partly in favour of your wife in that case she would become a joint owner also of the property and that will be the case of joint membership. 

Ajay Shukla (AGM)     18 July 2017

Thanks for the reply. Wife has not contributed because she is a housewife. Then can I dispose the entire property in my will? What is the status of the will in case my wife survives me? Can she then dispose the property or the will supercedes?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register