Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AVATAPALLY LEELA KRISHNA (STUDENT)     14 July 2017

Laws or act that supports women for protection

Hi Experts,

I would like to know the laws and acts with sections from and to, that supports or  protect women from the general issues or any anti-social activities was attacked on women. I would like to acquire knowledge by clear and detailed information regarding this and which may lead many women as awareness

Learning

3 Replies

Raveena Kataria (Advocate )     17 July 2017

Hi! I'd advise you to refer to:

Section 354(A,B,C,D), 375, 498A, and 509 of the Indian Penal Code (what I can recall from the top of my head anyhow.)

Also, the whole Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act.

Also, here and there, provisions have been made in favor of women. For instance:
○Separate grounds for Divorce (under section 13(2) of the Hindu Marriage Act,)
○Section 125 under Code of Criminal Procedure
○Section 19(1) of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act.

Hope this helps!

Raveena Kataria (Advocate )     17 July 2017

Nice take on private defense by Mr. Singh. Also, note section 46(4) of the Code of Criminal Procedure, as per which a woman cannot be arrested after sunset and before sunrise (provided a female officer doesn't take special permission from a judicial magistrate.)

A provision has also been made regarding bail. Please note section 437(1)(ii) by clicking here.

Arjun Kohli   18 July 2017

Originally posted by : Ramesh Singh
Sir, to interpret your subject, 'Law is for Us, We are not built for Law"
By the way, remember "1091", women's helpline no 24X7
And plz note "Private Defense", If someone tries to molest a women or burn a house or tries to kill a person in front of you, then common man has been empowered by law to kill that person.
According to the right of private defense Sec.96 & 97 IPC, nothing is an offence which is done in the exercise of the right of private defense of the body and property, every person has a right (subject to restriction contain in Sec.99 IPC) to defend his own body or that of any other person or against any offence affecting human body.
The rule to right of private defense has been stated by Russel on crime(11th Edn, Vol.1, P.491) thus:
" a man is justified in resisting by force anyone who manifesty intends and endeavours by violence or surprise to commit a known felony against his person, habitation or property. In these case he is not obliged to retreat, and may not merely resist the attack where he stands but may indeed pursue his adversary until the danger is ended, and if in a conflicts between them he he happens to kill his attacker, such killing is justifiable".

Indeed, the private defense is a very just law and nicely put forth. I would just like to add one more essential thing to this that the gravity of injury inflicted upon any person by means of any act(s) done in private defense must be reasonably proportional to the threat of injury such person committing the injurious act was under, from the injured person.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register