LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Launcher1   21 June 2017

Format for submitting electronic evidence u/s 65b

Is there any default format for submitting electronice evidence u/s65B of evidence act.

Also if the computer from which the printout is downloadd is my own computer can I myself sign the certificate??

Learning

1 Replies

Arjun Kohli   21 June 2017

Hi

S. 65A of the Indian Evidence Act provides that Electronic Evidence has to be submitted in accordance with the provisions of S. 65B. A Certificate u/s 65B(4) is a pre-requisite and cannot be done away with, as affirmed by the Supreme Court in Afsan Guru Case.

As for the Certification, the section requires that an Officer in charge of the operation or management of related activities shall sign the certificate. However, to comply with the requirements in certain cases, the intention of 65B with regard to the Person who can sign the Certificate must be observed. The purpose of Section 65B is to enable “Any Contractually Capable person” who knows how to view or hear an electronic document to present a copy (printed or on an electronic media) which can be admitted in the Court. It is that person who prepares the relevant statement in which he says “I viewed this document and converted it into a computer output and I certify …..”

Therefore, in my opinion, you can go ahead and sign the print out as the same was obtained using a computer unit controlled by you.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register