Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sarabeshwar (Technical Writer)     31 May 2017

Tenant and owner under consumer protection act 1986

Sir,

A friend of mine rented a building for running a Hotel.As per the rental agreement,owner has agreed to provide water connection to the Hotel.However the owner did not provide the water connection for several months.My friend was running the Hotel by buying water from Water Supply Lorries and drinking water in cans.It amounts to 600 per day.Can he send a CPC notice and sue the owner of the building under CPC for deficiency of service? Please advice

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Sarabeshwar
Sir,

A friend of mine rented a building for running a Hotel.As per the rental agreement,owner has agreed to provide water connection to the Hotel.However the owner did not provide the water connection for several months.My friend was running the Hotel by buying water from Water Supply Lorries and drinking water in cans.It amounts to 600 per day.Can he send a CPC notice and sue the owner of the building under CPC for deficiency of service? Please advice

It depends on terms of contract betewen owner and hotelier.  If no water connection was tehre, why did hotelier go for this kind of building?

If owner agreed, to get water connection, then give him some time to get connectoin.  It is not easy to get water connection that too commericial connection.  Most hotels manage with tankers and drums, as water got by corporation is not sufficient.

If you file case it will be additional expense and headache along with running hotel.

Sarabeshwar (Technical Writer)     31 May 2017

Sir,

Thanks for the reply.Please find additional information as follows

1. Its a small hotel built with asbestos by my friend in the owners's land.

2.As per agreement,Owner agreed to provide seperate water connection(municipal).Municipal water is suffice to run the small hotel.

3. For first few months owner provided water from his home.Then stopped providing water from his home  after 3 months.Thereafter my friend was running the Hotel buying water in Lorries and cans for the past 8 months

4. The owner works at Corporation in Drinking water supply Department and its not that difficult for him to avail water connection

5. My friend was ready to bear the water connection expenses.The owner did not oblige.He deliberately wanted to hinder the Hotel Operations.

At this point of time,can my friend issue a notice under CP Act 1986

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register