LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

lordofrings (-)     27 March 2017

Use of position to seek personal and confidential info

Brief background - Matrimonial disputes going on between me and my wife (498a, CRPC 125, DV etc.). Inlaws are trying for a hefty maintenance/settlement. FIL is manager in a public sector bank.

Incident - To prove that I have enough money for hefty maintenance, my FIL gave a written request to my Bank (which is a private bank), seeking statement of my savings account, citing reason as "Investigation Purposes". This written request is on the letter head of the public sector bank where my FIL works, and it is signed and stamped by the Chief Manager of the bank. I have a copy of this letter. It is to be noted that I do not owe any money to the bank where my FIL works. Therefore this use of position and power to seek my account statement (which is a confidential and personal information) is just plain wrong and unfair.

I checked with my bank on why they shared my statement, and they said that as per RBI guidelines, one bank can request another bank for statement of any account. 

Query - What should I do now? What are my options to get FIL penalized for this wrong? I have given a written complain to RBI (under the Ombudsman scheme), but I am not sure how helpful it will be.

Sincere thanks in advance for helping me.

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

You have already contacted RBI.  So what is that makes you repeat your query here.  Wait for a reply from RBI. Then if you dont recieve a reply which is favourable, then come back here.  No doubt you have a mischievous FIL.  Best way out is settlement.  Dont waste time on matrimonial dispute in court.

Thank you "Helping Hand". I understand that settlement is the quickest way to resolve matrimonial disputes, trust me I have tried it several times and failed miserable. The demands for money are in excess of 50 lakhs which is not even close to possible. I raised this to RBI but RBI again tries to settle it between the bank and the complainant. I came here to ask for "legal ways" to address this misuse of position done by my FIL, possibly by filing a complaint to magistrate or police. RBI will most likely NOT take a legal position to punish the FIL (say by suspending him). My intention is not to cause any damage but to bring them to settle on reasonable terms. It is also about justice. This happened to me, can happen to anyone.

Thank you "Helping Hand". I understand that settlement is the quickest way to resolve matrimonial disputes, trust me I have tried it several times and failed miserable. The demands for money are in excess of 50 lakhs which is not even close to possible. I raised this to RBI but RBI again tries to settle it between the bank and the complainant. I came here to ask for "legal ways" to address this misuse of position done by my FIL, possibly by filing a complaint to magistrate or police. RBI will most likely NOT take a legal position to punish the FIL (say by suspending him). My intention is not to cause any damage but to bring them to settle on reasonable terms. It is also about justice. This happened to me, can happen to anyone.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register