Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kaushik   06 September 2016

Modified image

Dear Experts,

I have created an image by modfying an image which was originally published over a century ago by altering the original image, colouring it differently as well as flipping and rotating it in a different direction. I would like to know whether I would be infringing on the copyright of the creator of the original image if I were to use the modified image commercially.

Thanks and Regards,

Kaushik.

Learning

1 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     24 September 2016

There i s acontroversu regarding these type of works. But if i ts for Fair use you can recreate into an altogether different  thing without infringing the original copy Right  creator. Have you used th einternet to create this modified Art image? Then youj are protectede  as under th e fpollowing. cxreative commons to increase cultural creativity. in the commons. Please read on:

Our goal at Creative Commons is to increase cultural creativity in “the commons” — the body of work freely available to the public for legal use, sharing, repurposing, and remixing. We realize there’s an inherent conflict between innovative digital culture and archaic copyright laws. Our licenses help bridge that conflict so that the Internet can reach its full potential.

We support the culture of the commons both on a user level and an institutional level.

User-Generated Culture

Whether you’re a photographer, writer, filmmaker, or DJ, our licenses can help make your work part of the commons. The Internet is a multiplier of cultural innovation. Creative Commons copyright licenses make it easier for individual creators of culture to express themselves and to identify the freedoms they want their creativity to carry on the Internet.

We support user-generated culture in three key ways.

1.   We generate copyright licenses that anyone can adopt. The License Chooser tool helps you choose a copyright license that’s right for you based on how you want your work to be used and where. Anyone can obtain a license and embed it into their web site. It’s really that easy.

2.   We work with cultural sharing platforms like Wikipedia, Flickr, and blip.tv to provide their users with the option of licensing their works with Creative Commons copyright licenses. By embedding Creative Commons licenses right into these systems, we can help users create and share their work on a large scale.

3.   We collaborate with technology companies like Google and Yahoo! to make commons content easier to discover. Having tools is one thing, but they aren’t useful if people can’t find them.

Institutional Culture

The role of individuals in the cultural commons is growing, but a huge amount of our cultural heritage still resides within institutions. We work with museums, galleries, libraries, digital archives, and other cultural organizations to bring Creative Commons licenses into their infrastructures to manage their materials and make them more widely available.

Creative Commons is about building infrastructure for a new kind of culture — one that is both a folk culture, and wildly more sophisticated thanAnything before it..If you wish to thank me for this reply please clicfk the thank you button on this forum.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register