LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

MALLIK AMBATI   06 December 2015

Registration in the name of an nri

My mother has agricultural property in Vijayawada (AP) and Bangalore (Karnataka).
She wants to transfer these two properties on my sister's name, who is a US citizen. Since she got a US passport, her Indian passport got cancelled. She is not having an Aadhaar Card either. How can my mother transfer the properties onto my sister's name as she is not having an Indian passport or Aadhaar Card? In this scenario, could you please let me know what are the documents required for registration of the properties onto my sister's name, in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.

Thanks in Advance.

Learning

4 Replies

siddhartha sinha   07 December 2015

Since she is a foreign national of Indian origin she is allowed to acquire any immovable property only by inheritance. So your mother shall have to make a will. Thereafter on the basis of will it can be registered. On the question of whether she can give it out to anybody by will one has to check if the property is self acquired. Assuming she is a hindu.

You can in fact get the documents transferred to your name by showing death certificate and the probated will. Even registration is not compulsory as far as I know.

Correction...transferred to your sisters name

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 December 2015

Yes as suggested by Mr. Sinha, the US PIO can inherit  the property through a Will bequest.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register