Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sreeja Das (Self-Employed)     19 February 2015

Multiple startups under one registered llc?

I and my friend are going to start a venture and going to register that under a single registered LLC. In future, if we plan to start some more startups and give them different names, would we be able to keep them under a single registered LLC or do I have to register each of them separately?

For example, I have registered a LLC named Foo, and I am operating three startups , Trips ( travel startup). Apps( app development startup), cabs ( cab service startup), are there any legal issues with it?

Learning

6 Replies

Waseem (Junior advocate)     30 September 2015

In response to this question, yes it is possible and permissible to operate multiple businesses under one LLC. It can be bu using a "Fictitious Name Statement" or a "DBA" (also known as a "doing business as") to operate an additional business under a different name. 

However, just because it’s permissible and possible to operate several different types of businesses under one company (LLC or corporation), and with an idea of putting all eggs in one basket, tomorrow If a lawsuit is filed against any one of the businesses, the assets of the others will be at stake. The result is you put yourself at a higher degree of risk.

Instead of that it is advisable to form a new LLC for every venture you start. This encapsulates the risk instead of spreading it around. There are of course additional maintenance fees, but consider it well worth it in order to protect your businesses.

If you would like more information or have any questions about forming your own companies, please contact me. 7506433505

Dr Katta Venkata Rama Krishna (Retd Sr Director Govt of India/ Advocate)     15 December 2015

yes agreed.  Ensure not to avoid all taxes, statute dues etc.

b.goheel   30 December 2015

nice query

jyotirmaya behera (advocate)     29 March 2016

Your FOO name has been registered in a limited liability company. After the register the company you have to apply for TIN and PAN in the name of FOO. In FOO name how can you use other 3 company whose function are different from each other.  If you used other 3 with FOO then you are at the time of tax payment you may face problem. Its batter make all of them separate using the same ID. Because you have to pay tax in different head.

J.P.Behera

Jyotir.29@gmail.com

0-9861819294

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     04 September 2016

Dear Client,

bHow to host multiple companies under one umbrella business structure?

This may be done by creating an LLC, S-Corporation or C-Corporation to hold multiple DBAs for the various other ventures that are part of the main “umbrella” business structure.

For example, if someone has three businesses: one consulting service, and two separate websites that sell products related to the consulting work, the business owner could create one overarching LLC or corporation (depending on which choice of business structure provides the most tax advantages) called something such as “Mary Smith Enterprises, LLC” or “Mary Smith Enterprises, Inc.” and then file DBAs (“Doing Business As”) to include each of the subsidiary websites as part of its overall business structure (LLC or corporation), even though they have different names. This is an easy way to structure multiple businesses to potentially minimize tax liability (depending on the business and owner’s tax filing status) and provide added credibility for the business operations.

Tips for structuring multiple businesses under one LLC:

You don’t have to disclose the name of the LLC. If you have multiple businesses that are not seemingly related to each other, you can keep doing business under each business’s name without being legally required to disclose the name of the business which holds the DBAs, (your LLC, corporation or partnership) as part of your marketing.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     07 October 2016

If you appreciate the above answer please click the thank you button on this forum.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register