LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sureshkumar (PROPERIETOR)     09 February 2015

Harrassment by lanlord

Sir, I have two shops in a complex for past 35 years and paying the rents regularly. Since the complex was under lease for 30 years which expired in 2009, now the building is under the charitable trust sangha, they have taken the control of the building, and the electricity was included in the rent itself

Now the new land lord has started harassing me to increase the rent by 2000% from 3000 +900 for 2 shops to 10000 per shop amounting 20000 for two shops, for which I did not agree. Nor he made any new agreement till date, now he has disconnected the electricity for shops, police complaint given, now since last 22 months I do not have any current, and I do not want spoil the relation with landlord, so I requested him for providing current, which he never did till now.so I started sending rent for both shops by registered post up to date. Now my rent is paid till Dec 2014

, now since last week he has stopped allowing to park my car in parking space which I doing since last 25 years

What should I do now? 

Learning

3 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     09 February 2015

who gave the police complaint.is that u against the owner or otherwise.because it clearily a civil issue and police have got nothing to do in this.if the owner is harassing you then approach rent control authorities and initiate a rent control proceeding against the owner

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     09 February 2015

1.Amicable solution is the best option.

2.Electricity cannot be disconnected, issue notice for restoration otherwise file a suit before District Judge for mandatory injunction or a writ petition before High Court. 

3. Find out local  rent in the area for similar shop(s) and increase rent accordingly.

4. Get your lease  and licence renewed.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 February 2015

You may approach civil court for restoration of electricity connection and a mandatory injunction to not to dispossess you other than by due process of law and also for fixation of fair rent.  Take the help of a local advocate and proceed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register