LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Indian Justice (Other)     14 May 2014

Divorce case

How is Property division done in divorce ? Are USA property Division Laws enforceable in India. My brother is getting divorced after 9 years of marriage. He works and lives in USA. Both he and wife are Green Card holders. Both work there. According to US Law they have to divide marital property. All property aquired after marriage by either party is considered marital property except gifts received.

My brother has purchased some land in his name with his money in India. Bhabi is demanding that all property, including the one in India has to be divided in half. Bhabi is not asking for alimony. She has good job and custody of daughter will be shared by mother and father. We want to keep things amicable, as possible. Because the land was purchased with foreign money will it fall uder the law of USA ?

Learning

1 Replies

Indian Justice (Other)     20 May 2014

Please. Any lawyers who handled such cases are aware of the foreign judgement enforcement ? My brother and sister-in-law, going thru divorce proceedings. The court order is division of all property earned after marriage to be divided equally. These are considered marital asset. Does Indian court enforce these foreign orders. Is divorce done in USA after 9 years of living there Valid in India or not ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register