Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kartik chandra roy (lower division assistant)     29 June 2012

Can a teenager lodge fir in police station?

Can a teenager, being a minor one, lodge FIR?

Learning

12 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     29 June 2012

Yes an informant can be major or a minor
1 Like

(Guest)

Gear Kartik,

Teenager as of a minor cannot lodge a complaint with police. Any such act which has taken place with the minor needs to be brought with the knowldge of police through the natural guardian or next friend of the minor as per law and statement of the minor with whom the incidence has taken place will be recorded u/s 161 Cr. P. C and the minor will appear as a witness.

However, a teenager having attained age of majority can lodge a complaint with police.

1 Like

(Guest)

Gear Kartik,

Teenager as of a minor cannot lodge a complaint with police. Any such act which has taken place with the minor needs to be brought with the knowldge of police through the natural guardian or next friend of the minor as per law and statement of the minor with whom the incidence has taken place will be recorded u/s 161 Cr. P. C and the minor will appear as a witness.

However, a teenager having attained age of majority can lodge a complaint with police.

1 Like

Rajeev Kumar (Lawyer/Advocate)     30 June 2012

I endorse the view of Archana ji

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     30 June 2012

agree with mr. yogesh !

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     30 June 2012

rajeev, where is Archana ji?

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     30 June 2012

Consider this. If a dog enter police station and dragged police officer to a crime scene where Police discovered a murdered dead body, will the dog be the informant?

MohammedRaffiq Bijapur (Advocate)     01 July 2012

Yes, teenager can lodge FIR.

Here Yogesh Nayyar has made a point to think. FIR sets the law in motion for investigating the crime.

Assumi, informant and complaint can be two different persons.

(Guest)

Dear Mohd.

Under Criminal Law, informant means complainant.

Kindly peruse

154. Information in cognizable cases.

(1) Every information relating to the commission of a cognizable offence, if given orally to an officer in charge of a police station, shall be reduced to writing by him or under his direction, and be read over to the informant; and every such information, whether given in writing or reduced to writing as aforesaid, shall be signed by the person giving it, and the substance thereof shall be entered in a book to be kept by such officer in such form as the State Government may prescribe in this behalf.

(2) A copy of the information as recorded under sub-section (1) shall be given forthwith, free of cost, to the informant.

(3) Any person, aggrieved by a refusal on the part of an officer in charge of a police station to record the information referred to in sub-section (1) may send the substance of such information, in writing and by post, to the Superintendent of Police concerned who, if satisfied that such information discloses the commission of a cognizable offence, shall either investigate the case himself or direct an investigation to be made by any police officer Subordinate to him, in the manner provided by this Code, and such officer shall have all the powers of an officer in charge of the police station in relation to that offence.

Criminal Law says that there can not be two informants and there cannot be two FIR for the same offence. However criminal Law says that it is not necessary that the informant has to be the victim. Take an example of rape with a minor girl. In this, either father or mother of the prosecutrix is a informant and not the victim.

1 Like

kamal (Advocate)     03 July 2012

I agree with Mr.Yougesh.

All the best.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     07 July 2012

I agree with Bhart Chugh. I have no opption but to disagree with all others. For reporting crime the CrPC does nto prescribe any age whatsoever.  Ther eis no requirement of moving through guardian. The guardian as next friend is needed only if the minor has to institure or defend a civil suit.  I shall be happy if trhe provision of CrPC could be quoted wherein minor (or any teenager) is required to file criminal case only through guardian.

Minor is also a competent witness.

Teenager is not minor in all cases.  Even if minor he is not barred from agitating the crime. 

Nakshatra J s Reddy   01 October 2018

i am just 15 years wil i be eligible to lodge an fir

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register