LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

saurabh kumar (TL)     28 October 2011

How to pay for 'communication of arrear demand'

Last week I recieved mail from CPC with subject 'Communication of Arrear Demand'.

It says that my Demand Amount for assessment year 2004 is Rs. 1124 and

Demand Amount for assessment year 2008 is Rs. 4500.

It seems that I need to pay this amount to the income tax department. If so, what are the step by step procedure to pay them online?

While paying online, how do I ensure that my paid amount gets reflected correctly against these two assessment years?

I have searched a lot online, but could not get one good place which tells me how to pay my demand amount online easily and correctly :("

Learning

11 Replies

CA SANKAR (PRACTING CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT )     28 October 2011

To pay tax online, Use 280 Challan Thurough any Nationalised bank netbanking account

1 Like

saurabh kumar (TL)     28 October 2011

Thanks for the prompt reply. How do I ensure that while making this payment,  i target my payment for the two different years? Or do i make the sum total payment and it will get adjusted automatically to both assesment years by itself?

(Guest)

Ask them to adjust it against REFUNDABLE DEMAND. In plain language if Zero Rupees and the arrear demand is One Million rupees, the refund amount becomes Minus One Million Rupees. Ask them to add all arrear demands in Refunds accounts and they cannot deny you that choice since you are not concealing anything from the Income Tax Department.

(Guest)

Ask them to adjust it against REFUNDABLE DEMAND. In plain language if refund amount is Zero Rupees and the arrear demand is One Million rupees, the refund amount becomes Minus One Million Rupees. Ask them to add all arrear demands in Refunds accounts and they cannot deny you that choice since you are not concealing anything from the Income Tax Department.If they circulate the file on getting confused let it circulate since as the word spreads more and more people will follow suit resulting in a virtual mega SPAM in the income Tax deptt.

saurabh kumar (TL)     20 November 2011

So to pay my tax as per the issues arrear demand, I need to use challan 280. Inside it, what should I select as the 'Type of payment' to pay my arrear?

Options provided are:

(100)ADVANCE TAX

(102)SURTAX

(300)SELF ASSESSMENT TAX

(106)TAX ON DISTRIBUTED PROFITS

(400)TAX ON REGULAR ASSESSMENT

(107)TAX ON DISTRIBUTED INCOME

saurabh kumar (TL)     22 November 2011

Any idea anybody around which type of payment i have to choose from the list i provided?

saurabh kumar (TL)     26 November 2011

For people who are stuck like me, I finally chose (300)SELF ASSESSMENT TAX to pay my tax as above.

Vineet (Director)     26 November 2011

Now you have paid it, nothing further can be done.

Otherwise first check, Assessment year cannot be 2004 or 2008 as you mentioned. It has to be combination of two years e.g in first case 2003-2004 or 2004-2005. Both refer todifferent time period and if you have paid amount for AY 2003-04 while the pending year was 2004-05, I fear you would have lost that money because there is no way it can be refunded to you now.

Secondly, since the CPC show these demands outstanding against you, the same should have been paid as Tax on Regular Assessment (400). Self assessment tax is paid before filing of return.

As you have paid online, the amount will automatically credit in OLTAS against your outstanding demands if correctly paid.

saurabh kumar (TL)     26 November 2011

Vineet, thanks for your reply.

I had been writing and waiting since almost a month on this thread, but nobody replied on which payment type to select and other step by step information. As such finally I had no choice but to take a decision and make the payment. General people like me have no way, to know how to proceed. How does the government assume that all Indians automaticlaly know such minute details without any clear documentation or procedure?

The Arrear Demand letter sent by CPC does not mention assessment years in the form 2003-2004. But as a single year as shown below:

SLNO AY Section DIN AO DEMAND Amt Interest u/s 220 Interest Calculated Till

1 2004 143(1) 20102004…… ward-4 noida 1124 0 27-04-2011

2 2008 143(1) 20102004…… ward-4 noida 4538 0 27-04-2011

As you say that I should have made payment of type 400, instead of 300. How does this impact me? Does this mean by tax is still unpaid in their records??

RK Jena (Asst)     27 November 2011

I have received a demand of Re1/- despite having used the Income Tax calculator given by IT Dept. Can I pay Rs1/- online using challan 280?

Manoj Patil (Division Head)     28 November 2011

Vineet, are you sure it type of tax should be "Regular Assessment (400)"?

He has got demand from income tax office and its not individual's regular assessment post return filing year.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register