Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

What are your plans for summer vacation?

Page no : 2

Ambika (NA)     01 June 2011

what a ridiculous argument from a LD. advocate to insist on calling a lady "Sir"! So all women who this LD. advocate thinks have some substance would be called "Sir" by him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Like

(Guest)

Ambika jee, the most unfortunate is the Hindi culture of our nation..

The most respected lady is being called as "RASHTRAPATI" instead of "PRSIDENT".

Here I remember your this thread;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Re-Patriarchy-and-Sex-ratio-36057.asp

(Guest)

Ambika: calling a woman 'sir' is usually based on a type of reverse psychology. when people want to insult a man, he is called a 'sissy' or hen-pecked, or asked to wear bangles etc. Calling a man womanly is an insult.
So many people conclude that calling a woman a man is an honour.

Indira gandhi and kiran bedi were amused at being addressed as "Sir" but didn't try to correct such people. 
My first boss used to tell me "I know you are man enough to get this done".... usually I took it as a compliment and worked extra hard (I was 20 years old lol).

Even in america, the general belief is that every woman wants to be "one of the boys" in order to break the glass ceiling and prove that her gender is not a detriment. She is on par with men and part of their club. etc etc....

Such women will also be required to laugh at chauvinistic jokes about female s*xuality. Another 'sh*t test' to prove she is one of the boys. The next step of course is that undue advances are made at her because the s*xual jokes are a test to her receptivity. (Hey, you laughed at my joke about s*x etc..) Pretty sad, but I think that's how it works.

No properly educated person --educated in the true sense- would call a woman 'sir" or "Sriman" .And when an advocate   calls  a woman sir by saying its the highest constitutional honor he can give to a woman he in fact  is like isulting our constituion which has professed for equity to pave the way for euqality( as different from uniformity). As a political science student, I have studied the constitution throroly and know that it is atrocious on the part of such ld. advocate/s to misrepresent our constituion. 

1 Like

(Guest)

Ambika: have you heard the phrase "Preaching to the converted". That is what we're doing here. I hear you and you hear me. So it's good to connect with people who think like us, but at the same time I wouldn't bother with those who think different. Life is too short you know, and out there, there are people more open to this kind of thing.

1 Like

G.Nagarajeshwar Rao (Advocate)     01 June 2011

Live and Let Live is very confusion. One can not find the particular gender by seeing the name "Live and Let Live". Mr.Sarvesh thought that the "Live and Let Live" is a man. But she herself stated that she is woman. There is difference between Sir and Madam! if we confine that word is for honouring. However the coversation of Mrs. Ambika and Mrs.Uma is very good and your views are honourable and noble.   

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     01 June 2011

For us, vacations were from 23rd April to 23rd May at Bangalore. And I could not enjoy a bit as I have exams of MBL and have to study day and night. I should say visiting LCI for sometime is a stressbuster for me. 

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     01 June 2011

Originally posted by :Ambika
"
what a ridiculous argument from a LD. advocate to insist on calling a lady "Sir"! So all women who this LD. advocate thinks have some substance would be called "Sir" by him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"

wait, what is your question?

yes sir

yes madame?

Madame means My Lady

and Sir is a title of a knight.

Saying Yes Sir! to a woman is to declare you're not giving them any less respect because they're "only a ma'am". Saying "yes ma'am" to a dude is going out of your way to disrespect them.

Originally posted by :Sarvesh K Sharma
"
Hello members!

how r u?

and

What are your plans for summer vacation?

have you starat to think about plans, if yes then share here.
"

IT WAS THE REAL THREAD!

NOT 

TO SAYING SIR TO A WOMEN!

IF THIS IS ALSO ANOTHER THREAD

THEN START AGAIN

UMA DIDI,

AMBIKA BAHAN,

AND OFCOURSE

ALL SISTERS WHO HATE TO CALLD

SIR THEM SELVES!

1 Like

No I totally disagree with you. This is your patriarchal view, that calling woman a sir is giving her honor. I do not think a woman would be in any way would be dishonored if she is called Madam. It is the height of insult to a female entity, that she will not be respected and honored in her own right unless she is equated with a male entity. 

@ Mr. Rao

Thanks and I understand some names are gender neutral. But once someone explains that she is a female, I think she deserves an appriapriate address in her own right for being a female. 

It is outrigh atrocious and insulting. I am not talking about Live and Let Live; I am now talking about its inappropriateness.

1 Like

@ ambika ,

if you are not agree then what can i do?

agree hona na hona aap ki marjee hai!

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     01 June 2011

I totally agree with Ambika ji"s views.

Now, if we are conversing in English, we have to follow the way how a man and a woman is addressed in English speaking Countries, obviously. 

The term "Sir" started to be used in UK military for males and its female equivalant is "Dame" there. In Indian military "Sir" and "Madam" are used as it is so in US and other English speaking countries. 

It is now in common use to address a male as "Sir" and a female as "Madam" as a social norm including almost every country. So, in my opinion, to address a female as "Sir" would be a serious faux pas. 

No Sarvesh you cannot do anything but you are closing the doors shut for your own learning. One evolves by realising one's errors and one introspects. 

I do not normally flood a thread with my innumerable posting and I think I leave you alone with your unwillingness to learn something new and to open up to the evolving and dynamic language, that is Englsih, and its usage which are continuously in the direction of giving respect and honor to women in their own rights. 

(Guest)

thank you G Nageshwar Rao

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register