LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Audry Fernandes (nil)     31 May 2011

Wife's change of surname

I understand that after marriage the wife may retain her own surname or take the surname of her husband. It is her choice.

I would like to know when the decision has to be made.  Does she decide at the time of the marriage and make her decision known or can she decide even after a year of marriage.

I have a case in my Society where a member got married and informed us that she was retaining her original surname. Now after more than a year she informs us that she has decided to adopt her husband's surname.

Can we accept her word or have we to request some documents. If so, what should we ask for. She is a christian and got registered marriage.

Thank you

Learning

2 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     31 May 2011

Her husband's name could be included as surname after obtaining a declaration to that effect. and the fact recorded in her service register.

1 Like

Audry Fernandes (nil)     01 June 2011

Thank you.

Could you please elaborate as to what type of declaration. Just a letter from her wil do?  or is it some type of legal document.

Her mother expired a month after she got married. At the time of transfering the flat  to her name she informed us that she was retaining her own surname.

Now ater a year, she states that she wants to take her husband's surname. Hence this query.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register