Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anantha (sw)     01 December 2008

Spelling mistake in sale deed

Hi
i have recently purchased an apartment on loan. I recently noticed that there is a spelling mistake in my first name . Instead of "Anantha" , it is typed as "Ananta" . one letter "h" is missing in my first name. will it create problems in future? can i rectify the spelling mistake. Is the builder required to rectify the spelling mistake? Can i ignore such minor spelling mistakes ? Is original sale deed required for rectification ?My  original sale deed is with the bank .

Thanks,
Anantha

Learning

10 Replies

D.V.RamaKrishna (Advocate)     01 December 2008

Mr Anantha,

Spelling Mistake in your name( in the nature of a single letter missing ) will not affect your title to the property unless there have been any major mistakes w.r.t. your name, fathers name or the details of the property.

So I feel there is no need for having a rectification deed being executed.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     02 December 2008

Dear Anantha, It is an old and rationl maxim of the law that where the party to a transaction or the subject of a transaction are either of them actually or corporeally present, the calling of either by a wrong name is immaterial; Presenti corporis tollit errorem nominis: Lord Bacon in his maxims fully explains and copiously illustrates this rule of  Law and good sense and shows how it applies not only to persons, but to things. Your Sale deed can not be affected for that.

prabhu selvarasu (advocate)     03 December 2008

I agree with Ramakrishna

Ajay kumar singh (Advocate)     03 December 2008

If your parentage and address is correct,you need not worry.

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     03 December 2008

You can register a rectification deed by correcting and rectifying the mistake.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     04 December 2008

Better register a rectification deed

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     05 December 2008

Since you are the owner of the property, your builder cannot be required to rectify the said error. You may not ignore such spelling error no wonder how small it be. Practice of the particular registry where your document is registered shall be the judge as to whether original sale deed is required for rectification or not. Rectification Deed may be executed taking your banker into confidence.

Better seek your lawyer's advice in the matter.

sushil (bussiness)     12 December 2008

make a declaration by notary public that anantha and ananta are the same persons. others have also qouted the right answers.

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     24 December 2008

Although missing of one word doesn't matter. But if u think it would create any problem then make a declaration by notary public that anantha and ananta are the same persons. others have also qouted the right answers.

Sumit Phadnis (Lawyer)     26 December 2008

I would advice you to rectify the error without thinking how the small error is. You never know, in future it may create a problem. So better you take an advice from your Legal Consultant to go for such legal things.

Best Regards,

Adv. Sumit Phadnis.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register