Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sankar   28 June 2019

Women rights on property

Hello Legal Experts,

I'm from Tamil Nadu, Chennai.  This is a query about women's right on a property purchased by my wife's parents.  They have 2 daughters and 1 son.  The house was bought by their parents and registered in the name of my mother-in-law.  Both father-in-law and mother-in-law are alive.  They like to give the hous to their son and not willing give anything to their daughters. 

Is my wife have any rights to ask for her share in the property as per rule of Tamil Nadu?  We got married in the year of 2006 and property was bought before her marriage. Appreciate your guidance.

thank you very much.

Learning

5 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     28 June 2019

Dear querist, the property is a self acquired property and hence even his son has no right.  Your motherinlaw have right to do as she wishes and she may gift the property to an outsider also.  So the daughter may convince their parents orally to give any thing. But no rihgt on the property.

N. Sivaprakash, Chennai 984099 (Advocate)     29 June 2019

Since it is a self acquired property of the Mother the daughter cannot cannot claim any right as long as the mother is alive. Daughter gets the rigts over the property onlyafter the demise of the mother.

Prema   29 June 2019

As per hindu laws, if parents dont gift the property to their son before thier death or make a provision of will for inheritance to thier son/sons or anyone else. In that case if no will is made then daughter has equal rights to the property.

Prema   29 June 2019

As per hindu laws, if parents dont gift the property to their son before thier death or make a provision of will for inheritance to thier son/sons or anyone else. In that case if no will is made then daughter has equal rights to the property.

P. Venu (Advocate)     03 July 2019

The property belongs to your mother in law and she is the absolute owner. She can dispose it at her discretion during her lifetime. After her lifetime, the property, so far it is unalienated or intestate, gets vested with the legal heirs. Hence the wise option is not to get agitated nd precipitate any issue that may lead to hasty action on your mother-in-law's part.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register