LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AKSHAY KHAMKAR   16 September 2018

Power of attorney

We own a land in Kokan jurisdiction and there is property dispute going on regarding the same. The land is jointly owned by my father and mother in 50:50 ratio. She is ill  since last few months and she is not able to attend the case, so she wants to give power of attorney to me so that i can attend the case on her behalf. 

My questions :-

1) What kind of power of attorney is required general or special ?

2) Do i need to get it registered ?

3) Do i need to pay stamp duty for getting it registered ?

4) and lastly can i regsiter the power of attorney in Sangli jurisdiction since we currently reside here ?

The Registrar office is saying they can't resgister power of attorney in sangli as the land is in kokan jurisdiction so i am a bit confused.

Learning

4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     16 September 2018

Your mother can execute a General power of Attorney in favour of yourself.  It can be registered at Sangli jurisdiction.  In most of States, there is less stamp duty to be paid if executed in favour of family members.  so in your case, your mother is givig POA, usually the stamp duty to be paid is less.  so check in your state.  consult an able Advocate or a senior Document Writer.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     17 September 2018

Contact your advocate dealing with your mother's case for getting the format of POA duly notarized.  This is a simple process.

AKSHAY KHAMKAR   17 September 2018

Thank you Sir for your reply!! The Registrar Office is simply saying they can't register POA in Sangli as the land is in Kokan Jurisidiction and they can't estimate market value properly..is it even a valid reason??

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     17 September 2018

The Power of Attorney need not be registered for represantation in Court, it has to be properly stamped, executed and notarized.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register