LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Reet Sawhney   20 August 2017

Harassment by real estate broker

Hi, I took up a house in Mumbai with 2 others girls and paid th brokerage for the year and rent for the month. Unfortunately just a few days into staying there, i had to vacate as my family is also moving to the same city. The broker is now refusing to take my calls and to pay back the brokerage (which she had promised to earlier) and the rent. Can i press charges?

Learning

3 Replies

Arjun Kohli   20 August 2017

If you have such promise in written, then you have concrete ground to press charges and even sue the broker, as it will be really tough to prove any verbal assurance.

Secondly, in my opinion, negotiations could be a better way to resolve the matter, where ofcourse you won't get a complete refund but could negotiate some refund, if such a negotiation could be arranged.

However, given the Broker's attitude, it seems really difficult as well. (Although, needlless to say, such broker will be in big trouble if there's no valid registration of such broker under the RERA Act.)

However, the problem stated above seems genuine and you can approach the Regulatory Authority established under the Maharashtra. https://maharera.mahaonline.gov.in/contactus/contactusdata

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     20 August 2017

You are entitled to demand back paid rent for the period when you vacated the property and were not using the same. So far brokerage is concerned, except you have any contrary terms, you are not entitled to brokerage as broker has performed its job.

Reet Sawhney   21 August 2017

Thank you for your reply. 

So the contract was not complete so it's not mentioned in a formal document. But I do have a message from her stating that the 'brokerage can be collected on pro-rata basis from the new girl' incase one of us has to move out.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register