LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

M R Rajoria   23 November 2016

Maintenance of unmarried daughter aged above 35 years

1. Is a hindu pensioner (father) aged about 70 years old is bound to maitain his 38 years old unmarried daughter who is harrassing and mentally tourturing him???

2. Is there any court judgement that a father aged above 65 years is not legally bound to maintain his unemployed daughter aged above 35 years who is well educated and mentally/physically sound???  If yes kindly quote the judgement.

3. In case she is disowned from property (which is self acquired), can she still claim maintenance legally from her father?????

Learning

4 Replies

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     23 November 2016

1) No not required. But you can get maintenance at this age from your daughter.

2) YES

3) No she can't calim your self acquired property.

Will u give like on my LCi profile for free advice?

1 Like

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     24 November 2016

An unmarried even disbled daugheter who is unemployed can depend on her father's pension lifeong. H ecan't throw her away. Pray God that  let wisdom may dawn on her and she  does sensible things..She i s35 yearso rmoreshe is behaving childish. On father's family pension unmarries and unemployed  daughters can depend upon.If you appreciate this   answer please convey my forum thanks by clicking thanks.

Sachin (N.A)     24 November 2016

You are not legally bound to take care of an adult child moreover you can seek maintenaince from her. And it is your legally right to disown her from your property if you wish.

stanley (Freedom)     24 November 2016

@ Author .

1. She cant claim maintenance as you have stated she is educated and mentally and physcially sound in health and body .

2. As per law underMaintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 if you do not have any source of income than you can claim maintenance from your daughter .But from your posts it seems you have a source of income .

3.  As per law she cant claim any property from you except for the fact if only you wish to give her the same or make a will to give her a certain share of your property after your death .Everthing is based on your wishes .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register