LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

justextra   21 January 2015

Phone theft

My phone was stolen in a bus while alighting at Kudlu Gate, Bangalore on 14 Jan. However the thieves were, I assume, caught red handed and their loot recovered by Bangalore Police. My friend got a call from the Adugodi police station that my phone was with them and that they required me to go there to collect it.

However it wasn't as easy as it seemed. The phone was indeed mine, but they asked me to file an FIR at the Madivala police station and give them a copy of the same, post which I was promised I would get the phone.

I filed the same, but then they said they would require the magistrate's permission to return my phone to me. I came to know today that through the police, that the magistrate requires us to get a "release order" from the court and then only would I get the phone back.

I was told by the police there that I could avail the service of a lawyer they knew and that they would bundle my case with other stolen phone cases from the same thief, and so the cost would come down.

My phone costs 7000, and I think it would be bad deal if I have to spend a substantial amount in the lawyer fees. Plus its difficult for me to travel during weekdays to the court to pursue the case due to my daily office work.

My question: Are the police following the correct procedure or am I supposed to get my property back directly from the police station without such formalities?

Also, how much should a lawyers fee be, considering the cost of the phone?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register