Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Lawyers! if you are logical ones-why you wear black coats ?

I have heard that lawyers are very good at reasoning (though I do not believe that).Why, you the lawyers of India,are wearing black coats or ties or Bow,even in the heat of May,June,July.This dress code would have some logic in the cold climate of England,from where we adopted all the legal system, but here in a hot country like India it is just a nuisance .I hope some one out of you will soon object/challenge it in a court of law and get this old/wrong/foolish/dress code abolished. 

Learning

18 Replies

mahendrakumar (marketing)     01 July 2010

I  am having simlar thoughts,may be because i am not an advocate.

atleast people concerned should think of some climate friendly colour.

1 Like

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     01 July 2010

i agree with your thought that this Dress Code must change now....after 63 years of Independence we have not been able to change this system.

the dress should appropriate one well according to Indian Environment and Culture.

1 Like

(Guest)

The Judicial system is not yet redressed even after 15 August 1947 and 26 January 1950 the day of adoption of Democracy and still copying the Britishian Empire.

SO

THE ENTIRE JUDICIAL SYSTEM SHOULD BE REDRESSED NOT ONLY THE DRESS CODE OF LAWYERS.

1 Like

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     01 July 2010

Khadhi is acceptable to legal profession ?

1 Like

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     01 July 2010

In maharashtra, every year the Bombay High court by its circular exempts the advocates from wearing black coats from 15th march to 30 june. The advocates appearing before the court need not wear coat in this period but have to wear only the 'white band'.
1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     01 July 2010

what is your problem?

when they do not have any objection, let them wear.

not only advocates, police, military, doctors nurses at hospital, even school children wear their uniform and follow the dress code.

1 Like

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     01 July 2010

With due respect to Ram Samudre A.K.Gupta, I am of the view that its high time to change the dress code. Why should we wear that gown? Yes the band with black coat is enough and we should do away with the gown.

1 Like

(Guest)

I discussed exactly this topic with a fellow advocate and he told me that the Supreme Court has exempted lawyers from wearing robes during summer and so no lawyer is facing this problem in the Supreme Court. Is it true?

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     01 July 2010

Yes this should be changed, during summer black coat plus gown used to become unbearable, what my advocate says, but they are not allowed to enter the courtroom without this. So urgently it needs a change.

1 Like

(Guest)

But the dress code should have some reasoning,just because they are wearing it does not make it sensible.

1 Like

niranjan (civil practice)     02 July 2010

In Gujarat we are also exempted during summer. But according to me it is not this only,but  we should be proud of being indian,which we are mainly lacking.

Basavaraj (Asst, Manager-Legal)     07 July 2010

All learned members opinion is differs from posting to posting:

I do not agree with changing dress code for lawyers. We are living in India which has more than thousand language and thousand type of culture and dress code.

Our Father (Gandhiji) and other followers made certain rules here which were adopted from Britesh rulings, we need to respect their feelings.

We Indian and one of the big democracy in the world, we should have some dress code for practicing lawyers.

Any one is having difficult wearing the guan and coat, please read our Indian History and politics.

We do not know how we adopted the procedure here like:---

In school –dress code

Hostel- dress code

Hotels- dress code

Police –dress code

Doctors-dress code

Driver –dress code

Workmen –dress code

Pilots- dress code

Lawyer-why not????????????????????????/

I suggest that let all our corrupt political leaders wear dress code first?     

1 Like

(Guest)

Black coloured dress code for lawyers is an age-old practice. Black denotes darkness and the white bands denotes light. SATTAM ORU IRUTTARAI ATHILEY VAKKILIN VAATHAMORU VILAKKU (Tamil) (meaning: Law is a dark room and the argument of Lawyers is leading light (to the courts).

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register