Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

What is my legal position and what are my rights

Hello everyone!! 

I have some doubts on my legal position and rights in respect of

properties left by my father. When my father died, there were 

three members in the family - Mother, me and my brother.

Now my brother has got married with two children and I am

presently doing my higher studies.  My dad had

left land - two in Chennai and one in our native place. 

Few years, after my father's death, my brother wanted to

sell one of the land to fund his higher education. I was minor at that

time, and on the basis of trust I and Mom signed the papers and

he got the entire money into his bank account and used it fully

for his own purpose alone, not a single paise to pay for my education also.

(My mom was working at that time and she is the one who paid all 

my fees). Now, out of the balance money left plus a loan which he had taken, 

he had constructed a house in Chennai land (the other one left) and we all 

live in this house. The problem now is that he has refused to pay any maintenance

to my mom (she is not working now due to health problems), he is forcing my mom

to convey the properties in his name, which we are not doing due to the past experience 

and the consequence is that every other day there is a fight between my mom and brother,

or me and my brother. He and his wife picks up the silliest reasons to shout and use abusive 

language and have been constantly asking us to get out of the house since it has been built by

him. Since I am also still studying (with my own funds and loans), I am not in a position to take 

any legal action, as filing case will require me to attend courts, appoint lawyers, etc. and

will disturb my studies, apart from the fact that I have no money to do all these. I will be

finishing my studies in a year's time. So what is my position, What is the quantum of property 

that belongs to my mom and me? Does the house and the adjoining land belong to my brother

as he is paying property taxes in his name and he had constructed the house? What are the other

legal actions I can take on my brother and his wife for the kind of treatment they are giving now?

Learning

5 Replies

sangram (service)     09 June 2010

Hi,

Its better to devide your property in u, ur brother & ur mother. live separate from your brother. u r also has right of share in the property of your father.

Regards,

Sangram

Waseem (Junior advocate)     09 June 2010

hi,

amudha first of i would like to knwo that in who'sname the siad lands are at present.so pls provid ethat details.

secondly u ,ur mom and ur brother being the legal heirs of ur fathers under class 1of beiong coparceners so u all have equal rights on all the three lands and wht ever property is left by ur father.

now as u hv said u and ur mom have signed on a document which was sold by ur brother pls tell me in wht right did u signed it.did u provide him authority to sell the flat and take all the money for himself or jsut to sell it.

again just paying property tax doesnt makes him the owner of those lands. first know tht on who's name those lands and property is at present.

u can take legal action n ur brother for claiming urs and ur mothers right and ur mother can also make an application for claiming maintenance from ur brother from ur fathers property which is acquired  by him.

i hope u may answer some of my questions so that i can provide u further suggestions on it.

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     09 June 2010

HELLOW AMUDHA,

I UNDERSTOOD YOUR PROBLEM. YOU AND YOUR MOTHER FILE A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CASE AGAINST YOUR BROTHER AND SISTER IN LAW. THEY GRABBED YOUR PATERNAL PROPERTY.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PRESENT RESIDENCE.

MIGHT BE THE LAND IS IN THE NAME OF YOUR BROTHER BUT IT IS PROPERTY OBTAINED BY HIM BY SELLING  YOUR FATHER'S LAND, AND PURCHASE THIS LAND.TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR MINORITY AND YOUR MOTHER'S INNOCENSE. IN DV ACT, PROVISION OF RESIDENCE IS ALSO THERE.

DV ACT WILL HELP YOU. YOU HAVE TO COMPLAIN INTO POLICE STATION. YOU MAY TAKE HELP OF MAHILA THANA ALSO.

THERE IS A POSIBILITY THAT YOUR SISTER IN LAW FILE A CASE U/S 498A, IPC, BUT DO NOT WORRY, LAW IS WITH YOU.

IF YOUR MOTHER DO NOT GET ANY PENSION, THEN SHE AND ALSO YOU, CAN CLAIM AN AMOUNT OF MONEY U/S 125 IPC, AS MAINTENANCE FROM YOUR BROTHER.

1 Like

(Guest)

Thanks Sangram, Waseem and Arup for the advice. Waseem, All the properties are in 

my Dad's name. Mr. Arup's advice seems to be a more apt solution, as of now.

Parth Chandra (none)     10 June 2010

check ur Inbox

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register