LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     03 June 2010

Bar Council Test notified

Students who cleared LLB in 2009-2010 or later have to qualify a test for being licensed to practice as an Advocate.

• Forthcoming test  is scheduled on December, 5 2010 .
  • Enrollment for test in July.
  • Test will be  conducted by the Bar Council of India in four zones in India.with the help of a private agency.
  • Test fee Rs. 1300/-
  • Medium - 1.Hindi 2. English 3. Telugu 4. Tamil 5. Bangla 6. Odia 7. Kannad 8. Gujrati  9. Marathi
  • Model papers will be available on BCI's website in August
  • Only Pass or fail - no grading , no marks .
  •  Unsuccessful candidates may reappear in the test after 6 months. No limitation of attempts.
  • Books , reading materials permitted
  • Those who had passed LL.B. before session 2009-10 are exempted from test.

Learning

18 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     03 June 2010

Oh, no... !! Why for me ?

And please Tripathi Sir, I humbly want to say, it is "Kannada"  language. Not "kannad".  Otherwise it sounds like  name of language is Hindified..   :) 

Thanks for the info, Sir.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     03 June 2010

Suchitra, I am 100% sure you will get through. And Sir.Dr.Tripathi, thank you for the informations, infact BCI should have done this long time back, any way better late than never. Dr. is there any exemption for SC/ST etc? Sorry for my ignorance, but I have not seen the New BCI amendment.

Gopal Singh ( Advocate)     03 June 2010

I have read the contents above. It seem to be a good step towards good and healthy legal profession.A decade back  reniors were sadled with the responsibility to check young students entering this profession.This healthy step taken by the Govt. would certainly debar those who have passed using unfair means to pass the L.L.B. Exam. THANKS FOR THE PROPER STEP TAKEN BY THE GOVT.UNDER THE DIRECTION OF  BAR COUNCIL OF INDIA.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     04 June 2010

sari suchitara,

nau i wil trayi far kannadayijesan end Hindinayijesan of inglis !

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     04 June 2010

Ha..Ha..  :D

kranthi kiran (Works In Judicial Department)     04 June 2010

1. We the students of Osmania University will complete our LL.B Degree by this Month i.e., June 2010.

2. BCI has anounced to held  the exam in the month of December,2010, and after that, definately it                          will take 2 to 3 months time for results and enrollment.

3. It means, we  have to waste our time for about one year, with out entering into the profession. 

4. Further When they are choosing for the multiple choice(objective) type pattern( exam paper), there is no meaning in  allowing the books and reading materials

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     04 June 2010

This is definitely a good start, if it is really true! I hope they drop the age limit now.

hanumant.com

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     06 June 2010

Dear Suchitra,

I respect all languages.  "All" doesn't exclude Hindi which is my mother language and deserves special respect ,  at least more than  non Indian languages !

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     06 June 2010

Sir, for me every language is important and deserves respect equally. I just wanted to clarify how my mother tongue is spelled. Thats it. 

Shree. ( Advocate.)     06 June 2010

A resolution was adopted by the Bar Council of India on 10 April 2010 to conduct an All India Bar Examination, the passing of which will entitle an advocate to practice law in India. Consequent to the resolution, the following rules were inserted into Part VI, Chapter III of the Bar Council of India Rules. It is yet to be published in the Gazette of India.

[To be inserted as Rules 9 to 11 in Part VI, Chapter III of the Bar Council of India Rules – Conditions for Right To Practice – under Section 49(1)(ah) of the Advocates Act, 1961]

RESOLVED that as the Bar Council of India is vested with the power of laying down conditions subject to which an advocate shall have the right to practice, these Rules, therefore, lay down such condition of an All India Bar Examination, the passing of which would entitle the advocate to a Certificate of Practice which would permit him/her to practice under Chapter IV of the Advocates Act, 1961.

9. No advocate enrolled under section 24 of the Advocates Act, 1961 shall be entitled to practice under Chapter IV of the Advocates Act, 1961, unless such advocate successfully passes the All India Bar Examination conducted by the Bar Council of India. It is clarified that the Bar Examination shall be mandatory for all law students graduating from academic year 2009-2010 onwards and enrolled as advocates under Section 24 of the Advocates Act, 1961.

The All India Bar Examination

10. (1) The All India Bar Examination shall be conducted by the Bar Council of India.

(a) The Bar Examination shall be held at least twice each year in such month and such places that the Bar Council of India may determine from time to time.

(b) The Bar Examination shall test advocates in such substantive and procedural law areas as the Bar Council of India may determine from time to time.

(c) Such substantive/procedural law areas and syllabi shall be published by the Bar Council of India at least three months prior to the scheduled date of examination.

(d) The percentage of marks required to pass the Bar Examination shall be determined by the Bar Council of India.

(e) An unsuccessful advocate may appear again for the Bar Examination, without any limit on the number of appearances.

(f) The Bar Council of India, through a committee of experts, shall determine the syllabi, recommended readings, appointment of paper setters, moderators, evaluators, model answers, examination hall rules and other related matters.

(g) The Bar Council of India shall determine the manner and format of application for the examination.

(h) Upon successfully passing the Bar Examination, the advocate shall be entitled to a Certificate of Practice.

Application for Certificate of Practice

11. (1) The Certificate of Practice shall be issued by the Bar Council of India to the address of the successful advocate within 30 days of the date of declaration of results.

(2) The Certificate of Practice shall be issued by the Bar Council of India under the signature of the Chairman, Bar Council of India.

https://www.barcouncilofindia.org/notification-amending-conditions-for-right-to-practice-and-bringing-the-all-india-bar-examination-into-force/

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     06 June 2010

Shree Sir, I have a doubt. From the first sentence of your post, I come to know that every advocate who is practicing now, should also take entrance exam. Then only he is entitled to practice in courts, am I right? Pl clarify.

Arun (student)     10 June 2010

If Advocates  should attned the examination like this , Then what is the use of conducting Enterence before joining LLb course and 3or 5 years LLB education.  Education system should be same in all over india. If Law students has to write these typ of examination then all kind of profession like docters, Engineers also has to Face these kind of Exam and that is were the justice for Exam Rules..'

Arun

Law student

KANDE VENKATESH GUPTA (ADVOCATE)     11 June 2010

Conducting entrance examination for practice of law is nothing but insulting the law degrees awarded by the respected universities which are reconized by the University Grants Commission.  There is no meaning in awarding law degrees, if the parliament intends to conduct such examinations.  Otherwise, scrap the law colleges and simply conduct B.C.I. entrance examination and permit any individual who succeeds in the examination to practice law irrespective of the fact whether he is a law graduage or not.  This intention of the Parliament should be condemned.  If really the B.C.I. or for that matter the Hon'ble Supreme Court or for that matter the Government of India wants to increase the efficiency in law professionals, there are many more ways i.e., improving the quality in educdation that is being offered by the law colleges run by the State or the Private Organizations  by providing sufficient funds for infrastructure viz., computersed library,  increase the salary of the factulty in law colleges etc.,   It appears only to help the private organizations i.e., Rain Makers, and other organization the vested interested persons in them are forcing the law students to appear for examination by spending Rs.1,300/-.  If really, the Government of India is intending to improve the quality in profession, the Government should comeforward to conduct examination free of cost.  These are my personal views.       

1 Like

HANUMANT DESHMUKH (Activist)     15 June 2010

I agree with Kande Venkatesh that the test should be free. The only reason this test is required is because Universities (which are again run by Govt.) are not doing its job of teaching right. Had the Univ. maintained high standard of law education, there wouldn't have been any need for this exam. And since students are already paying for their Universtity education, the cost of the exam should be borne by the govt. Why should students pay for the failure of Univs. in carrying out their duties?

Read more on www.hanumant.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register