LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

uma sharma   09 February 2019

Inheritance rights over unearned property

we are two siblings..my sister's was married in 2007 ...i started earning from 2008 ,post then I have given all of my earnings to my dad who has in turn purchased some agricultural land..the land was registered in name of my mother ...now my sister has started claiming half inheritance rights over the same...I want to know the legal status of her inheritance and what can be done to ensure that this unearned and non ancestral property doesn't go to her freely...looking forward for early reply...Warm regards Arvind Sharma

Learning

2 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     09 February 2019

Property purchased in the name of your Hindu mother became her sole property and if she dies without making a Will it will be inherited by her husband and all her children, each getting one share each in that property. Right to seek her one share in the property of mother exists for your sister irrespective of who paid for purchase of the property in her name. Best safeguard is making Will to protect one's financial aspect.
1 Like

Shashi Dhara   09 February 2019

U insist her to write gift deed in favour of u during her life time .it is best option then will.u bear registration charges before situation becomes worst.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register