LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vikram A (medical)     29 December 2018

Will note (veelunama) of my father is enough to have propert

Hi My father is alive 65yrs age. He has a house of 8.5cents land. He prepared a WILL note stating that his property will be given to my two sons but not to my daughter after my death. My doubt is 1. Does that WILL NOTE (veelunama) should be registered or not? Even without registration at register office does that VEELUNAMA is valid? 2. Do my sister also gets a share from that property even though my father mentioned in his WILL NOTE (VEELUNAMA) that my daughter does not have any authority to claim a share in the property. PS: The property is brought by my father with his hard earned money. It's not ancestral property.

Learning

3 Replies

Shashi Dhara   29 December 2018

It is self acquired so he has right to dispose as per his wishes no one can question it. Registration of will is not compulsory. After heis death any one can challenge it.they have to prove will genuiness in court.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     30 December 2018

Will need not necessarily be registered. It does not even require stamping. However, a Registered Will shall save the beneficiaries from much trouble in getting it implemented.Therefore, it is always advisable to get the Will registered.  The cost of registration is very small, may be around Rs.1500 to 2000 only.

Once beneficiaries are noted in the Will, nobody else can claim the property unless the will itself is contested that the Property owner did not write it or wrote it under duress or wrote it when of unsound mind etc and proved the allegations.

1 Like

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     30 December 2018

Will need not necessarily be registered. It does not even require stamping. However, a Registered Will shall save the beneficiaries from much trouble in getting it implemented.Therefore, it is always advisable to get the Will registered.  The cost of registration is very small, may be around Rs.1500 to 2000 only.

Once beneficiaries are noted in the Will, nobody else can claim the property unless the will itself is contested that the Property owner did not write it or wrote it under duress or wrote it when of unsound mind etc and proved the allegations.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register