Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shrilatha Thangaraj (Software Engineer)     02 November 2018

Need information about dowry

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have few doubts in our Indian Dowry system. 

1. Let us consider that Couple stays in one place and boy's family stays in other place. And the girl's gift items were placed at boy's family's house at first. Now, the girl likes to bring her Gift items (eg. Cot, Wadrobe, etc.,) to her place but the boy & boy's family doesn't allow to bring those things, It means, Are they indirectly expecting Dowry ?
  2. The girl and boy are working. If the Girl is forced to give her salary to him against her wish, my feel is, this is an indirect way of expecting dowry from girl. Is it right or wrong ?

Please clarify.

Thanks in Advance.

Learning

6 Replies

TGK REDDI   02 November 2018

It doesn't amount to expecting dowry in both the cases.

The gifts etc are stridhan.    She has absolute right over them.    She wants them in her place.     She's right.

If she wants them in the house of her father, she, though legitimate, is wrong.

She can refuse to give her salary to her husband.     If she doesn't utilize it for common purpose, she, though legitimate, is wrong.

Adjustments in married life are very complex.    Adjustments in human life are, for that matter, also almost equally complex.

Ego shows its dirty head always.  

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     03 November 2018

These are purely personal problems related to marital relations.

It is left to you as to whether you wanted to maintain smooth relations with in laws, sacrificing material possessions, which you can get within minutes.

Once the relations are strained initially, you can not build them.

It is your decision and your priorities that matter and members in the forum can not advise on such matters.

If you have already decided  to frame them under Dowry prohibition act, then go for advice from a competent Advocate locally who will be too eager to guide you for a hefty fees.

Shrilatha Thangaraj (Software Engineer)     03 November 2018

Originally posted by : Prasanna Advocate
Why are you setting question paper? Hypothetical situation and if so it is true also, you are planning to screw your own life and others life too, why are you seeking help from legal forum for your private pleasure derivation?

Hello Sir,

I'm not setting question paper to screw his/her life. I just thought to get the direct answers for the questions/doubts. Now, I'll explain the detailed situation of her life.

They got married just before 4 months. Here, the boy is getting salary of around 70000 and the girl is getting salary of around 30000. For their working purpose, they both have been staying in a rented house. The boy told his wife that he is having debts and he have to pay it first. Girl also accepted that. So, for the past 4 months, boy was paying his debts (borrowed around 2,00,000 for marriage purpose) and spending salary for his family only. At the same time that the girl (eldest daughter in her family) has been paying her 1/4th of the salary to pay her family's marriage debts (borrowed approx. above 7,00,000 by her parents for the marriage purpose). The rest of her salary is spent by her to the rent, provision, etc to her family. 

In this situation, boy's debts were cleared but now also, boy listening to his mom & married sister's words and pre planning his budget before the month starts and he sends his entire salary to his mom's account only. Still expecting her wife to manage the family and he is giving his whole money to his family. If the girl refuses to pay the entire to him, indirectly saying that he is not ready to live with her.

He is not listening to his wife's words but completely listening to his mom's words & doing the actions accordingly. So, she gets depression and asked me for giving some solution. And also, Should her parents be abanded by her ? There is no other way ?

That's why I asked those questions on behalf of her.

Thank you.

TGK REDDI   03 November 2018

LCI is not only a forum for help or advice but also for developing legal knowledge.

Legal knowledge can be developed by setting a question paper also.

Members shouldn't always advise Questioners to approach a competent or prudent Advocate.    Why?     Aren't we prudent? Aren't we competent?    

We can ask for fuller information or facts but can't tell them to call on an Advocate.     There won't, then, be any role of LCI.

1 Like

Shrilatha Thangaraj (Software Engineer)     03 November 2018

Originally posted by : G.L.N. Prasad
These are purely personal problems related to marital relations.

It is left to you as to whether you wanted to maintain smooth relations with in laws, sacrificing material possessions, which you can get within minutes.

Once the relations are strained initially, you can not build them.

It is your decision and your priorities that matter and members in the forum can not advise on such matters.

If you have already decided  to frame them under Dowry prohibition act, then go for advice from a competent Advocate locally who will be too eager to guide you for a hefty fees.

Hi Sir, 

You are right. And Sorry, I didn't explain the detailed situation of her life. Now, I have updated full details in this thread. Please have a look on that too. 

Thank you. 

Sachin (N.A)     03 November 2018

These are the adjustment problem and not dowry.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register