LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dribbler   18 May 2018

Criminal level professional misconduct - extortion, bribery

I live in Coimbatore. I hired a lawyer in Chennai to do some work for my company, which is a distributor for medical equipment. The lawyer worked very slowly and if I questioned him, he shouted and threatened to quit. Then one day, he sent his assistant to a government office to move some files. He then called me and said, "If you do not pay my assistant Rs. 1 lakh immediately without a receipt, to bribe this Joint Director there, I will withdraw from the case." This 1 lakh he never asked for when taking the case. Even after giving this to him, no work was done. I have proof and witnesses of all his mistakes including this criminal conduct. This is clearly extortion and bribery. I want to take him to Bar Council. But, I think that's is not enough for such a monster. At the most, they may give him a warning. So, what other options are there? Can I go to Vigilance or Police or file a lawsuit? What else can I do?

Learning

3 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 May 2018

Entire world is like that, do not step into such further troubles and make your hands dirty.  There is no use.  Birds of the same feather flock together.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 May 2018

Is any lawyer willing to take up the matter?

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 May 2018

You should understand the fact that you are also a party to the corruption conspiracy. Therefore you should be careful while you are planning to lodge any criminal complaint. You dont have any reason to file a civil suit for recovery of the amount given by you.If you have found any professional misconduct i.e., cheating you or fraudulently misappropriating your money then you can lodge a complaint against him with the respective bar council as well as with the local bar association where he belongs to.The phrase that all feathers flock together is an appropriate phrase if you can understand the meaning to this situation.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register