LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     16 February 2010

SC on Legal Profession

This court in a landmark judgment in Jacob Mathew v.State of Punjab & Another (2005) 6 SCC 1 while dealing with the case of negligence by professionals also gave illustration of legal profession. The court observed as under:-

"18. In the law of negligence, professionals such as lawyers, doctors, architects and others are included in the category of persons professing some special skill or skilled persons generally. Any task which is required to be performed with a special skill would generally be admitted or undertaken to be performed only if the person possesses the requisite skill for performing that task. Any reasonable man entering into a profession which requires a particular level of learning to be called a      professional of that branch, impliedly assures the person dealing with him that the skill which he professes to possess shall be exercised and exercised with reasonable degree of care and caution. He does not assure his client of the result. A lawyer does not tell his client that the client shall win the case in all circumstances. A physician would not assure the patient of full recovery in every case. A surgeon cannot and does not guarantee that the result of surgery would invariably be beneficial, much less to the extent of 100% for the person operated on. The only assurance which such a professional can give or can be understood to have given by implication is that he is possessed of the requisite skill in that branch of profession which he is practising and                                                             while undertaking the performance of the task entrusted to him he would be exercising his skill with reasonable competence. This is all what the person approaching the professional can expect.Judged by this standard, a professional may be held liable for negligence on one of two findings: either he was not possessed of the requisite skill which he professed to have possessed, or, he did not exercise, with reasonable competence in the given case, the skill which he did possess. The standard to be applied for judging, whether the person charged has been negligent or not, would be that of an ordinary competent person exercising ordinary skill in that profession. It is not necessary for every professional to possess the highest level of expertise in that branch which he practices. In Michael Hyde and Associates v. J.D. Williams & Co. Ltd. , [2001] P.N.L.R. 233, CA, Sedley L.J. said that where a profession embraces a range of views as to what is an acceptable standard of conduct, the competence of the defendant is to be judged by the lowest standard that would be regarded as acceptable. (Charles worth & Percy, ibid, Para 8.03)"

Learning

12 Replies

What is the lowest standard that would be regarded as acceptable for Advocates.?

The test is the standard of the ordinary skilled man exercising and professing to have that special skill .
      . . A man need not possess the highest expert skill; it is well established law that it is sufficient if he
      exercises the ordinary skill of an ordinary  competent man exercising that particular art."

71.   In Eckersley v. Binnie, Bingham, L.J. summarized the Bolam test in the following words :-

"From these general statements it follows that a  professional man should command the corpus of
      knowledge which forms part of the professional  equipment of the ordinary member of his profession.
      He should not lag behind other ordinary assiduous  and intelligent members of his profession in       knowledge of new advances, discoveries and  developments in his field. He should have such an       awareness as an ordinarily competent practitioner  would have of the deficiencies in his knowledge and       the limitations on his skill. He should be alert to the hazards and risks in any professional task he       undertakes to the extent that other ordinarily  competent members of the profession would be  alert. He must bring to any professional task he undertakes no less expertise, skill and care than other ordinarily competent members of his  profession would bring, but need bring no more. The standard is that of the reasonable average. The  law does not require of a professional man that he   be a paragon combining the qualities of polymath and prophet." (Charles worth & Percy, ibid, Para
      8.04)

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 February 2010

Dear Rajan, in matter of professional skill.. A man need not possess the highest expert skill; it is well established law that it is suficient if he exercises the ordinary skill of an ordinary competent  man exercising that particular art as quoted in Bolam case and the water of Boalm test has ever since flown and passed under several bridges, having cited and dealt with in judicial pronouncement and well received in every shore it has touched. But as far as legal profession is concerned, counsels does not stand alone and despite the best efforts made by the Counsel it is the Judge that decides the matters with so much discreations vested with the judge, and I am of the view that distinctions with legal professions has to be made with other professions.

1 Like

You are right, Sir. Indeed inspite of putting all efforts some times we do come across Judges who do not appreciate our point of view. Apart from the efforts of the Advocate, many things go into delivering of a judgment. Much depends on the temperament, education, reading habit, personal experiences, prejudices [ of all sizes and shapes] mood, age of the judge. The fact that he his usually overburdened with work also go into it.

(Guest)

SOME OF THE MANYTHINGS REFERRED BY YOU SIR,
TO WIN A CASE

FIRST, YOU NEED A GOOD CASE,

THEN YOU NEED GOOD EVIDENCE,

THEN YOU NEED A GOOD JUDGE,

THEN YOU NEED A GOOD LAWYER

AND THEN YOU NEED GOOD LUCK

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     18 February 2010

good one, Mr Menon

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     19 February 2010

There is no good or bad case.

Evidence is normally cooked/manufactured.

With CJI and Law Minister openly admitting existence of corruption in judiciary, where does one find a good Judge?

Only one lawyer will win the case for his client. Therefore, the other lawyer can't be called bad. {There have been cases where lawyers have been bought over].

There is no such thing as LUCK when battling a court case. It starts running out right from a magistrate's court to that of Supreme Court.

If a poor man has no means to appeal, will he not be condemned to spend his life in jail? When will the LUCK smile on him? 

Read this:

A North Carolina man who insisted he was innocent of murder through more than 16 years in prison was declared a free man after a groundbreaking exoneration pressed by the nation’s only statewide innocence panel. 

(Guest)
Therefore
1.       According to you Ajmal Kasabs case is not a bad case?
2.       Sorry. I was ignorant that CJI & Law Minister admitted “entire” judiciary is corrupt. If that is so, you could be right about finding good judges.
3.       “There have been cases where lawyers have been bought over” – Whether they are good lawyers or bad lawyers?
4.    Good Luck - BY CHANCE good things caused by chance and not by your own actions. Even in Court case many things happen by chance. One has to experience the same

(Guest)

Sorrry missed out on "Evidence" earier

Evidence - Whether cooked or manufactured.  It has to be good - to win a case.  A badly cooked or manufactured evidence will not win a case.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     20 February 2010

Please don't try to put words in my mouth. I never said "entire". You are imagining things.

I still maintain that no case is good or bad, including that of Kasab. If it is bad, why he is being defended by a lawyer despite vociferous opposition by Shiv Sena and the like?

Ram Jethmalani took the defence of accused in Indira Gandhi's assassination case. Two men were condemned to death by the High Court. One of them was acquitted by the Supreme Court finally. Was it a bad case?

The law of the land was used to put INA men on trial. They were patriots. So what? Legal luminaries of that time defended them. Was it a good case? Should the law be buried for their cause?

Neither you nor I can decide a case nor it is decided by luck or chance.

(Guest)
Certainly, you have not said “entire”. Nor have I imagined the same

But your lament, “Where does one find a good judge?” in the context of the admission of the of CJI & Law Minister quoted by you, it will logically lead to an inference that “entire” judiciary is corrupt.

Now, in the absence of the said inference, Can not a good judge be found?

You are right so far as an advocate is concerned there is no good case or bad case.

But a case will have inherent merits and therefore the case becomes a good case. Jethmalani who is my idol took up the case of 2 assains of Smt. Indira Ganghi. One was convicted and other was acquitted. The case which ended in acquittal had inherent merits and therefore in my language was a “Good case” and the case which ended in conviction did not have inherent merits and therefore in my language was a “Bad case”. I hope I have clarified what is good case according to me.

I have never claimed neither you nor I can decide a case. On the contrary my initial post makes it clear that Five good are necessary to win a case. Then why this doubt?

From my side I am ending this polemics.

valentine thakkar (advocate)     11 February 2011

What about the famous phrases  "Cash Value and Face Value" doing the rounds in the legal parlance. This speaks a lot about evidence, facts, good lawyers, good case and bad case. Most of the cases are pre-determined based on the VP.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register