LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Thomas Mathew   03 January 2018

Fir advise

Hi Sir/Madam, Last week a theft happens in my friend's house and he lost his MacBook pro 15 retina late 2017 laptop, wallet and it cost up to 2.4 lakh rupees. We approached Ramamurthy Nagar police station bungalow and at any cost they are not willing to file and FIR instead of an acknowledgement and the police people saying that if we file file FIR they need to investigate the case. Can anyone please advise is the right procedure they are following or anything I can do from my end of court level to get this done?

Learning

4 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     03 January 2018

Yes registered FIR of theft has to be investigated by the Police and final report to be submitted to the court as Charge sheet. All person whom the complainant name presumably involved in the crime will be interrogated by the police. The police will even get the finger prints available taken from the scene of crime to match these with its criminal records. If the police able to catch the real culprit he/she will be arrested and produced before in the court for keeping in custody, The police will even try to recover the stolen goods/articles, if recovered these will be told to be identified by the complainant and on his confirmation, will keep it in store-room of the police station to be produced in the court at the time of prosecution The prosecution of the accused will start thereafter. The recovered goods/articles can be claimed by the complainant by moving superdari application in the court which will be released to him on condition to be produced at the appropriate time in the court.

It's a long process that takes number of years. 

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt response Sir, 

When i went to the Police Station, SI is reluctant to file a FIR and he mentioned that they will not file FIR for laptops , bags or mobile lost issue as there location crime rate will be high. In such situation what can i do sir, Please advise how and whom should i reach to file the FIR.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     03 January 2018

Under section 154(3) Cr.P.C give your written theft complaint to the S.P./DCP of the district who will direct the SHO of the Police station to register the FIR.

If still that too is not done, then you will have to move application under section 154,156 Cr.P.C in the court of the Judicial Magistrate 1st Class of the Police station district for getting direction for registering FIR.

1 Like

Thank you for the advise Sir, very helpful

We will follow this.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register