Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjay Singh (Special Inspector General of Police (Training) West Bengal)     03 February 2010

Availability of e-books on IPC, CrPC

With a view to using mobile-phones as an aid to police officers, lawyers and judges, I have developed an application for reducing the Bare Acts to a form that is easily readable on mobile-phones. I have developed this because of two reasons, firstly, all field officers require ready access to IPC, CrPC at all times and places. Secondly, by re-reading the law one often gains fresh insights into it's meaning.

The format I have used is much more feature-rich than simply storing the text of the law on the cell-phone. I have used the .prc format to create an e-book, whereby all the sections are stored in a kind of database structure. The sections can just be browsed one after the other, or a specific section number can be typed to bring up its definition instantaneously. I have also created an index, whereby if a key-word, such as, 'Bigamy' is typed, the concerned section (s.495,IPC) will be instantaneously brought up. Furthermore, the database also lists the information in the First Schedule of the CrPC for each offence (cognizability, bailability, court by which triable and punishment.) It is even possible to search on any of these parameters, i.e. which offences under IPC are exclusively triable by a Court of Sessions, which offences are non-bailable, etc. In spite of this, each book takes up only about 250 Kb on a cell-phone. Many common phone brands are supported for this format. Of course the books can also be read on a PC or Laptop. The details of the software are available at https://sanjaysinghips.webs.com/ - where the working of the books is explained in greater detail through screen-shots and a training video of five minutes' duration. The website also contains demo versions of the books, which a person could try for free.

Learning

1 Replies

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     04 February 2010

It is good to have e-books on these matters. Lot of Thanks for this.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register