LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

R.BALA SARAVANA KUMAR (Inspector Quality control)     02 June 2017

Disciplinary enquiry proceedings

Respected legal luminaries, I am working in a PSU. I was issued a chargesheet on 30.01.2015 on vague & baseless allegations seeking my explanation. In reply, I submitted my final explanation on 02.04.2015. After my above said explanation there was no correspondence/communication from the Disciplinary Authority for one and half years, Hence, It was understood that the Disciplinary Authority had considered my explanation satisfactorily and dropped the charges, but shockingly after 450 days,Disciplinary Authority issued me an letter wherein it is stated that “My explanation dated 02/04/2015 is not satisfactory and hence an One man committee has been constituted to enquire into the charges leveled against me” Sir, Is there no time limit for the displinary authority to decide whether my explanation is satisfactory or not or can he say that according to his choice?

Kindly reply.

Learning

8 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     02 June 2017

The delinquent is required to submit his reply to the Show Cause Notice within stipulated period. Where the delinquent makes a request for a personal hearing, it must be given to him.Its denial might vitiate any action taken against him. Further, The disciplinary authority is free to consider the past service record of the delinquent while imposing penalty.

(15) Penalty Proposed:

Depending upon the gravity of the misconduct committed by the employee, the disciplinary authority is to decide the kind of penalty to the imposed on him.

The Rules enumerate the following two kinds of penalties:-
(a) Minor Penalties:- 
(i)Censure (ii) Withholding of promotion (iii) Recovery from pay (iv) Withholding of increment of pay, without cumulative effect.

(b) Major Penalties:- 
(i) Reduction to a lower stage in the time-scale of pay for a specified period, which shall ordinarily be not a bar to promotion.
(ii) Reduction to a lower time-scale of pay, grade, post or service, which shall ordinarity be a bar to the promotion
(iii) Compulsory retirement;
(iv) Removal from service and
(v) Dismissal from service.

1 Like

A SRIDHAR   02 June 2017

CVC Circular 02/01/2016 dt 18/01/2016 gives time limit for every stage of proceeding and the overall time limit mentioned is six months

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     02 June 2017

tHE EMPLOYER'S UNDUE DELAY IN INITIating Disciplinary proceedings is not legally tenable.gs cannot be ...

On 20.12.1988 decision was taken to take disciplinary action against the respondent. ... They cannot be initiated after lapse of considerable time. ... "The next question is whether the delay in initiating disciplinary proceeding is an unfair ... are unnecessarily prolonged without any fault on his part in delaying the proceedings.

R.BALA SARAVANA KUMAR (Inspector Quality control)     03 June 2017

Thank u very much for the response.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     04 June 2017

IN THE SUPREME COURT OF INDIA

CIVIL APPELLATE JURISDICTION

CIVIL APPEAL No.958 OF 2010

Prem Nath Bali ……Appellant(s)

VERSUS

Registrar, High Court of

Delhi & Anr. ……Respondent(s)

J U D G M E N T

Abhay Manohar Sapre, J.

33) Keeping these factors in mind, we are of the considered opinion that every employer (whether State or private) must make sincere endeavor to conclude the departmental inquiry proceedings once initiated against the delinquent employee within a reasonable time by giving priority to such proceedings and as far as possible it should be concluded within six months as an outer limit. Where it is not possible for the employer to conclude due to certain unavoidable causes arising in the proceedings within the timeframe then efforts should be made to conclude within reasonably extended period depending upon the cause and the nature of inquiry but not more than a year.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 June 2017

You can benefit from the inputs given to you.

R.BALA SARAVANA KUMAR (Inspector Quality control)     10 June 2017

Thank you, Sir. 

R.BALA SARAVANA KUMAR (Inspector Quality control)     16 June 2017

Sir/Madam

Thank you for your response.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register