Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deep Juneja   06 November 2016

Wedding ceremony expenditure

Dear Members,

I am involved in a DV case initiated by my wife, in which she has demanded total wedding expenditure incurred by her parents to be paid back by me.

Fact: The wedding ceremony was organized by me and my parents at the place of my residence and while the wife travelled from her parental house about 500 km away from my house to complete the wedding rituals. Therefore, most of the wedding expenditure was borne by me parents.

May I know please if she has any legal right to claim back wedding expenditure incurred by her parents from me during DV proceedings?

Deep

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 November 2016

Try and get the evidence, bills, reciept of payments.

(Guest)

If the marriage falls under  void category, ie under prohibited relationships, sapinda relations (brother sister, cousins cousins marriage) if the person is of unsound mind, marriage done via fraud, misrepresentation, hiding facts of insanity, and other forms of void marriage.  Then they can ask back marriage expenses.  Otherwise, you too have spent and they too have spent.  IF they dont want to continue with marriage, and such marriage being valid on in accordance with Hindu Marriage Act 1956, then they can utmost ask permanent alimony from you under the same act, provided she is incapable to maintain herself ie being uneducated, no job, no source of income and you being legally wedded husband have to provide maintenance to her interim also and permanent also, as decided by court.  Or else no question of you returning marriage expenses.  If you return hers, they should techincally return ur marriage expenses.

In the event marriage is called off, then ethically you are bound to give back money spent on the function.

Sachin (N.A)     07 November 2016

She can't claim whole marriage expense, she can only claim her stridhan and she need to prove that she purchased that items and those items are in the possession of her in laws.

1 Like

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     07 November 2016

No. Marriage expenses cannot be claimed in DV case. But she can claim stri dhan articles, presentations, i.e., the presents given to her before, during and immediately after the marriage by either from wife's side or husband's side and all those become stridhan and she can claim them proving that they ar stri dhan articles.
1 Like

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     07 November 2016

No. Marriage expenses cannot be claimed in DV case. But she can claim stri dhan articles, presentations, i.e., the presents given to her before, during and immediately after the marriage by either from wife's side or husband's side and all those become stridhan and she can claim them proving that they ar stri dhan articles.

(Guest)

Please reply

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Execution-of-judgement-of-dv-act-144083.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register