Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rajiv   26 January 2016

Bigamy- u/s 494, 498, 323

I am law student. recently came accross a family case with following facts-

1- A lady filed a case against her husband of being bigamy- u/s 494, other chanrges are- 498 and 323.

2- Her husband denied charges and plead innocence and says falsely implicated.

3- only witness from lady side who was present in second marriege ceremony when he was 10 years old.

4- There is no picture /video recording of second marriege . Lady has proof of birth of child from her husband and 2nd wife.

Now question is- 

1- To win the case how lady shall proceed?

2- What else proofs would be sufficient keeping mind of facts (above)

3- How strong and affective is witness of a person who was 10 years at the time of 2nd marriage ceremony in the eye of law?

Thanks.

Rajiv Singh

Learning

11 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     26 January 2016

For bigamy criminal complaint proof of both marriages not only second marriage ceremonies according to the customary rites and procedures have to be proved, what are these will depend, the photographs/video recordings, marriage registrations, eye witnesses to marriage ceremonies, statement of the priest performing the marriages are few of the relevant admissible evidence in the court.

2 Like

rajiv   26 January 2016

Thank @Renuka and @Vijay ji for guidance.

@Renuka Ji - 1st marriage was not child marriage. As case is old case still pending in the court. All eye witnesses of 2nd marriage are either died because of old age or avoid to appear in this case.

1- There is no question on 1st marriage as accused accepted 1st marriage as leagl and with as per hindu marriage Act.

2- Only eye witness of 2nd marriage . who is mature now, was 10 years old.

3- Priest and kanyadanam performer of 2nd marriage are died now.

4- how effective is voter id and other official details of 2nd lady as evidence who shows man as her husband in this case?

Kindly enlight me with your eminence  guidelines.

Regards,

Rajiv Singh

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     26 January 2016

At the time of second marriage, the witness was 10 years old, but competent enough to give deposition right now.  So, if he is capable of vividly remember the occurence of marriage and details of marriage to some extent, then the court will rely on his evidence.  But, by competent witness, the factum that the purohit and the so-called kanyadanam performer are no more has to be brought on record to give muscle to the case.  If there are some other people who were present but are not willing to give evidence, can be summoned through court notice and once they come to the court and take oath, start to parrot the truth.  Voter ID and official documents are also play a significant role to prove the factum of marriage and also the deposition of neighbours that both are living like husband and wife and the DNA of the child from second marriage  are further to bolster the case.

rajiv   26 January 2016

Thanks @Prabhakar. This reply is very precise.

Now adding to one more fact to the case- If the 1st wife dies during proceedings as legal system is too slow, who will fight case on her absent. If it is necessary to prepare a power of attorney from her side?

2- Tell me as many of witnesses are died so if new witnesses (10 years boy eye witness at the time of 2nd marriage, now mature ) and new evidences could be attached during trial?

Regards,

Rajiv Singh

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     26 January 2016

(c) Where the person aggrieved by an offence punishable under 1[section 494 or section 495] of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) is the wife, complaint may be made on her behalf by her father, mother, brother, sister, son or daughter or by her father's or mother's, brother or sister 2[, or, with the leave of the court, by any other person related to her by blood, marriage or adoption].

2. Yes.

1 Like

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     26 January 2016

Let me again tell you, to make the criminal cases relating to bigamy definitely requires the proof of both marriages, even if first or second or both marriages have been admitted by accused that will not be sufficient enough to hold him guilty under section 494,495 IPC.

Secondly proof like voter's card, ration card, official records, living together evidence by neighbors or DNA report of child born out of such union does not prove the marriage ceremony, for birth of child one doesn't have to marry, nor for living together or declaring oneself married to the other person, these will not prove the actual marriage ceremonies which court will like to see and come to conclusion of actual marriage between two persons.

When I state proof of both marriages I mean proof of marriage ceremonies in both cases, a child of 10 years will not even be aware what are the essential marriage ceremonies required for valid marriage and in this case how can you expect the child to state the same in the court, even are you yourself aware of the essential marriage ceremonies in the two marriages in question? Most of the people confuse between Saptapadi and Phera, rather most call it taking seven steps around the sacred fire which wrong, it is taking seven steps, each step representing one vow chanting by the priest along the sacred fire not around the fire like Pheras. Likewise there are number of essential ceremonies in Vedic or Sanatni Hindu marriage, essential ceremonies in Northern part of India may be different in Souther part of India for Hindus, likewise the Muslims, Parsis, Jews and Christians have their essential ceremonies for marriage.

Witnesses who understand these ceremonies and who have actual witnessed these ceremonies can stand as competent witnesses, when you take a witnesses to make as prosecution witness in bigamy criminal proceedings you need to completely tutor him otherwise defense counsel in cross examination will get truth out of the witness that he attended only the wedding reception but did not witness the essential marriage ceremonies which took place in his absence.

1 Like

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     26 January 2016

child marriage ??

rajiv   27 January 2016

Thanks Prabhakar and Vijay for precise input.

Tell me if evidance(s) could also freshly submitted in high court and supreme Court during trial.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 February 2016

Is the second wife alive? Can she be summoned to the court? What kind of proof of the birth of the child by his second wife available?  Was  the child a boy or a girl? Is the child alive? He or she must be grown up now? Can he or she be summoned to the court?  If the second wife, the child and the husband of the complainant are available their biological relationship can be proven? The question will then arise whether there was valid marriage between the two. If the witness who was then 10 years is cross-examined by a clever lawyer, he may falter and the defence will say that he was a tutored witness.

From the information given by you so far, it appears difficult to prove the second marriage.

Many celebrities marry publicly any number of times and become MP's.

Rohit Kumar (Business)     31 August 2017

Sir, Please confirm that Can I file a case of Bigamy orany other case against my wife.

As we are under procedding of 13 -B as per mutual agreement of High court Mediation centre. We have applied for 13 -B, but it is still not registered for hearing by our Judge and my Wife Remarry to her lover in fabruary 2017 without divorce.  

I have her marriage photos and video of secondshaadi as well.  Can I file a case or F.I.R. in police station against her and her family and boy as well and what will be circumstances or results in the same case. Kindly revert.   Thank you.

Rohit Kumar (Business)     31 August 2017

Sir, Please confirm that Can I file a case of Bigamy or any other case against my wife.

As we are under proceeding of 13 -B as per mutual agreement of High court Mediation centre. We have applied for 13 -B, but it is still not registered for hearing by our Judge and my Wife Remarry to her lover in February 2017 without divorce.  

I have her marriage photos and video of secondshaadi as well.  Can I file a case or F.I.R. in police station against her and her family and boy as well and what will be circumstances or results in the same case. Kindly revert.   Thank you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register