Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rachit (Senior executive)     15 December 2009

Agreement with joint owners

Hi,

I need to register an agreement for a new property purchased in Mumbai. Can the agreement have the following as joint owners:
1. Myself (Unmarried)
2. My Mother
3. My Sister(Married).
If yes, would there be any obstacles if I intend to take a home loan. Also, would there be any problems if I plan to sell the house in the future?
Spoke to a few brokers...couldnt get a satisfactory response.
Request  your valuable inputs.Thanks.

Learning

3 Replies

Adv. Deepak (Advocate)     15 December 2009

Dear Rachit, First please let me know why you want to purchase property in the joint name with your mother and married sister.  The answer to your firsr question is yes, there can be an agreement in the joint names and you can register the same.  However, if you intend to take home loan, bank will consider their income if any and can sanction more loan to you considering the repaying capacity of all.  However, if your sister has already availed home loan from any other source, then bank will go to reject your proposal as the property is owned by all jointly.  When you want to sell out the property, consent of all is required.  Your mother and sister can make a will in respect of their undivided share in the property.  Also, they can give that undivided share in the joint property as security for availing some other loan in future and can create charge over the property.  Thus, it may be difficult for you to sell it iout as after acquiring property, you cannot control their undivided share in the property.  Regards.  Adv. Deepak. ddkharpudikar@indiatimes.com

1 Like

Devajyoti Barman (Advocate)     15 December 2009

Mr Deepak has rightly replied the hindrances in purchasing the property in joint names. However regarding your other query I would differ and inform that the Bank consider the income of primary applicant and not  that of the co-applicants.

Rachit (Senior executive)     15 December 2009

Dear Deepak...Thanks for your sound reply.
My sister does not have any other liability in terms of any other loans and my mother is a housewife.
I spoke to a representative from HDFC and he did not sound positive on the sanctioning of the home loan.
Also, do I need to have my name as the primary owner in the agreement...since I would be taking the home loan?
Thanks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register