Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sudhakar   22 September 2015

Need suggestion for applying a fresh passport for my wife

Hi Gurus,

Need suggestion for applying a fresh passport for my Wife due to confusion with her surnames.
Below documents are prefixed with my surname and rest all other document in her Acadamic/Pan is prefixed with her parent's surname and address
1) Marriage certificate,
2) Present address proof
3) Spouce name added to my passport
4) Child DOB certificate

Now I need to apply a fresh passport for her with my surname.

Hope marriage certificate (with my Surname) and tenth class certificate (with her parents surname) is enough for DOB proof

Please suggest how can I go head with her surname to go a smooth process and get the Passport and Visa

Thanks and Regards

Sudhakar

Learning

3 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     23 September 2015

The need for changing your surname generally arises after marriage. Surnames may aslo be changed for other specific reasons .The steps are similar in case of change of surname for other reasons, but a marriage certificate will obviously not be necessary.

In order to change your surname in your passport you need to apply for reissue of passport.

The procedures for changing your surname-

Step- 1

Get hold of miscellaneous application form (Form No.II, for Miscellaneous Services). The application form is available at the Passport Office at a cost of Rs.5/- or can be downloaded from the website .

In the case you are downloading the form from the website then you must fill the form online before coming to Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).For this application form is available in the passport office. While completing an online application, in the “service desired” field, choose option ‘Reissue of Passport’. And then select the option surname in the change in existing personal particulars.

Step- 2

Get hold of all the required documents and fill the complete form with the service required as change of name. Following documents are required to be submitted along with the form-

• Passport in original with self attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages.

In case of women applying for change of surname in existing passport due to marriage must furnish the following:

• Photocopy of the Husband’s passport, if any, and
  • An attested copy of Marriage Certificate issued by the municipality or an equivalent affidavit with supporting evidence as joint photo, marriage card etc. (Specimen at Annexure D).

In case of Divorcees applying for change of surname in existing passport must furnish the following:

• Certified copy of Divorce decree.
  • Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’)

In case ofRemarried applicants applying for change of surname in existing passport must furnish the following:

• Divorce deed/death certificate as the case may be in respect of the first spouse, and
  • Document as at (a) above relating to second marriage.

In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish the following:

• Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’):
  • Original advertisements regarding change of name in two daily newspaper, one of those advertisement should be in the daily newspaper of the area of applicant’s address or nearby area . Submit the original newspaper clippings. The application is accepted only after 30days of appearance of said notice/ads.

Step- 3

Before visiting the application centre you will have to schedule an appointment either online or by calling the passport office between 9 AM – 6 PM. The date and time of appointment at Passport office will be informed by the online system and will also be printed on the application form.In case of online submission of the form, present the original print out of the completed application form with all supporting documents at the application centre at the time of your appointment. Visit Passport office to submit the completed application form along with the fee and supporting documents , on the appointed day and time.

Step- 4

Please visit Passport office at the appointed date and time. You should arrive at RPO about 15 minutes before the appointed time and proceed to the respective counter. Online applicants do not need to obtain a token number for submitting their applications. They are not required to wait long in the queue.

Step- 5

Submit the form along with all the necessary documents.The filled-in application form may be submitted personally or through a representative having identity document and authority letter signed by the applicant as per Annexure ‘.

https://passport.gov.in/pms/AnnexureL.htm

The above link provides the specimen of authority letter, In case you don’t want to submit the form personally, take a printout of the letter or you can even write the letter with the provided format above and fill in the with information along with your and the representative’s signature.

Step- 6

Please check the passport office for latest fee. This fee is subject to change so it’s important to contact your nearest office to determine the fee. The fee is to be paid along with the application form either in cash or by bank draft drawn in favor of Regional Passport Officer. In case of bank draft, full name and date of birth of the applicant should be written on the reverse of the bank draft.

Step- 7

Collect the endorsed passport .

You can also do the same with fresh passport but it takes longer time and a fee of Rs 1000. If you have lots of things to add in your passport, then better to go for the fresh passport.

1 Like

Sudhakar   23 September 2015

Hi Sainath Sir,

Thanking you for the brief info, but my wife has no passport till now, so while applying what should i mentioned in the surname filed(my surname or her parent surname), if her parent surname address proof and marriage certictes and spouce details(passport) are having my surname/ if i give my surname 10th and academic certficates has her parent surname

Please suggest how i need to proceed.

Thanks

Sudhakar

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     23 September 2015

You can mention UR surname in the passport application along with a copy of the marriage certificate.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register