LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kaatu Poochi (Kaatu Poochi&Co)     14 July 2015

Cheque return case

I am facing one cheque return case and it is almost final arquement.

Case is drawn on me by a lady

i had been given that cheque to his son as advance for Grey Fabric purchase before 6-7 years back but no any debit credit in that business and all settled where till that lady son is very close to me but he is away from his father -mother (lady). In this view his parent himself filled that cheque for Rs.5 lackh for case.

In the cross that lady declared she given loan to me ( in front of her husband and son)  by using her income in  ( Milk sold and some agriculture) but not income proved in the court.

My cheque was not sent to test the hand writing where merely signature is only by me.
Her husband and son was not witnessed by their lawyer and left.

Her aim is only to revenge me and given many more notices with other holded cheque  but  since last three years none of them numbered in court except this one cheque only.

hence kindly help me in some way to add more strength to my case

pl treat this is most urgent

Subramanian 

Learning

7 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     15 July 2015

Section 142 NI ACT states that once U have issued a cheque U R responsible to honour it.Source of income of the complainant is not the criteria.Hence if U R not able to defend UR case with valid arguments and evidences U are liable to be punished .Once the arguments are closed by the closed U cannot substanciate UR defence further and by now the judgement date must have been given.U should have engaged a lawyer well versed in NI ACT.The judgements vary from each judge.He can convict and impose only simple imprisonment for one year or reduce it and also impose fine or can ask U to pay cheque amount or even double the cheque amount and fine also.

1 Like

LAXMINARAYAN - Sr Advocate. ( solve problems in criminal cases. lawproblems@gmail.com)     15 July 2015

Yes once you admit that signature is your on the cheque the law runs against you.

Still pl tell us what further stage is now, whether defense is closed .

and which is the court and place.

1 Like

Kaatu Poochi (Kaatu Poochi&Co)     15 July 2015

Kindly let me know  upto where I can take this to appeal ???

District court
Chennai High Court
then??
Plz confirm

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     15 July 2015

Once the arguments are over then the case is set for disposal,hence right now U don't have a chance to go for an appeal.

1 Like

Kaatu Poochi (Kaatu Poochi&Co)     17 July 2015

My advocate arqued

1. Lady have not proved the payment source
2. Stated in Cross exam that  accused filled the cheque but Judge watched the cheque filled by others
3. Lady stated that her son and Husband with her while making payment but not witnessed and proved about the payment given
4.Lady already stated that her Husband and Son have touch with accused in business
5.Our side witness 2 person also stated that they dont know lady but know about business link with her husband and son
6. till date closing of case Lady side not provide any witness apart from return cheque and bank memo
7.My advocate  said to judge if it is true then they would submitted more documents and evidence which they stated in cross exam

Hence only the law cheque return is support to punish with penalty in other hand lady side nothing lodged supports to judge which only one point favour to us  as benifit of doubts 

Kaatu Poochi (Kaatu Poochi&Co)     17 July 2015

@SAINATH DEVALLA

Erode FTC ( Fast Track)

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     20 July 2015

If you do not know English I will not find fault with you. But you will appreciate that we can communicate only through a language which both of us know, Also the language used should be grammatically correct. Otherwise the complainant will become the accused and the accused will become the complainant. Your case is in court. Is the language of the court English? If so, with the kind of language I see here it is possible that you may get a wrong judgment. For instance you say " i had been given that cheque to his son as advance". What do you mean here, you gave a cheque to the son or the son gave a cheque to you?  Later also it is just a collection of words which one has to sort out and arrange to derive some meaning from it. I gather the following from your narration. You gave a blank cheque to the son as advance to purchase something. He did not use the cheque. His parents entered the name of his mother as payee and an amount of Rs.5 lakhs  and presented the cheque in their bank. The cheque bounced. After following the mandatory steps under Section 138, the mother filed a case against you. She claims that she had given a loan of Rs.5 lakhs to you, thus claiming that you failed to discharge a legally enforceable liability. Presumably she claims that she gave you the amount in cash in the presence of her son and husband. Your defence should be as follows:

1. The cheque was fradulantly filled up by the son-mother-father trio which is a criminal offence. You can ask for calling of the son and husband to stand in the witness box in the court for cross-examination by your lawyer. You can also demand that the cheque should be sent for forensic examination to determine the hand-writing, the pen, the ink used, the age of the writing etc of both the filled up material and your signature. What they have allegedly done is an offence punishable under IPC. 

2. Payment and receipt of any amount in cash in excess of Rs.20,000/- is an offence under the Income Tax Act (I can give you the sections if you want) and the penalty for it will be an amount equal to the amount so given, in this case Rs.5 lakhs.  You can also allege that the amount if paid would be black money on which income-tax was not paid. There is a Supreme Court judgment that loans advanced using black money are not recoverable under NI:138.(I may be able to give you copy of the Supreme Court judgment).

3. Normally in a case like this the buden of proof that the cheque was issued in discharge of a legally enforceable liability would be on the Complainant. But Section 139 transfers this burden on the accused (which is against the general principle "presumption of innocence in the absence of evidence"). In a case like this where fraudulence in the construction of the cheque and the genuineness of the source of income are suspected the burden of proof gets retransferred to the Complainant.

It appears to me that your lawyers are inept and inefficient. Are they sleeping and only collecting their fees from you?

All that I have written above is valid provided that I have correctly decoded your post.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register