Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

manikandanmp   19 February 2015

Married women rights on fathers property

Respected sir/madam

I am from  tamilnadu.  My grand father has five children , my father is the eldest and four daughters  for my grandfather. and all are married. My grand father owns land which was earned by his own hard work. and my grand father was died on 25.01.2007 and the land he owned is registered in his name .and my grand mother also died last year. Now my father want to register the land in his name but my four  aunties(fathers sisters) are claiming for the property and asking for their share .but my father is not willing to share the land rather he is willing to give their share in terms of money but my aunties are not accepting money. and when I searched internet for this solution I found that in Tamilnadu, the daughters who are married before march 25 ,1989 cannot claim fathers property and only the daughters who are unmarried or married after march 25 ,1989 can claim their  fathers property. I want to know two things 1) whether this law is true and is it  applicable as of now in tamilnadu 2) Can my father have any option to give their share in terms of money and not by land.

please kindly give me some valuable information regarding this issue. thanking you

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 February 2015

It is believed that you are Hindu and Grandfather (owner) has not left any WILL.

The succession is decided in line with personal law applicable to the owner of property/estate. 

The Date of death of Grandfather is posted by you as: 25.01.2007.

Thus the succession has opened from this date.

The married daughters are treated at par with sons after amendment to Hindu Succession Act in 2005.

After the amendment the Central Act should operate from in your case.................and daughters shall share the estate in equal share with your father.

It si upto them to relinquish/sell/transfer their share........to your father or not.

1 Like

saravanan s (legal advisor)     19 February 2015

in tamilnadu  according to state amendment in hsa from 1989 onwards women are eligible to get a share equal to that of a son in ancestral property

1 Like

manikandanmp   19 February 2015

@ Mr.saravanan sr and Mr.kumar doab sir , Thanks a lot for your valuable information

All is NOT well (Harrased by Biased Laws)     27 February 2015

Good to see, now women are asking for the legal rights in her father's property as well, along with the traditional ways of extorting her husband and husbnad's parents' property :P

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register