LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rekha Somasundaram ( )     11 November 2014

Divorce from foreign country

I am very confused of my marriage registration and divorce obtained. Here is the quick summary.

I am an Indian citizen and my ex-husband is Malaysian. Our marriage took place in India and been registered in India. Marriage had also been registered in Malaysia for my visa purposes. We both obtained a divorce decree in Malaysian High Court under mutual consent about an year ago.

Now I am moving ahead for my second marriage. My fiancee is an Indian. Will there be any problems in registration of my second marriage? Should I obtain any divorce decree from Indian Court as well? Or Can I use the divorce decree issued by Malaysian High Court and endorsed by Indian High Commission of Malaysia?

Learning

14 Replies

Pratap K Pushpakaran (Advocate)     11 November 2014

a decree of divorce is granted by a foreign court after the parties submit to its jurisdiction and contest the case, the marriage stands validly dissolved, 

"As such nothing further survives in the marriage. 

"It is an abuse of legal process to adjudicate upon matters already decided by foreign courts which are conclusive under the Indian Laws,"

2 Like

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     11 November 2014

Dear, File divorce petition along with the divorcee decree of Malaysian court, in India you will have to take proper divorce in order to avoid future problems. Adv kapil chandna, 9899011450

Rekha Somasundaram ( )     12 November 2014

@ Mr. Pratap,  Thanks for the Info. The other advocate Mr. Kapil Chandna replied that I should file in Indian court attaching the divorce decree from Malaysian Court. Is it going to be a problem if I don't do this?

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     13 November 2014

I agree with Kapil.  If you do not follow Kapil's advise you will not be able to do second marraige while first marraige is in existence.  It will become Bigamy an offence punishable for 7 years.  The other option is to marry in foriegn country.

CompelledToLearnLaw (Financial Examiner)     13 November 2014

Rekha, go with Advocate Pratap K Pushpakaran's advice.

This issue has been already settled by two of the biggest guns of LCI: learned Tajobsindia ji & learned Adv. Chandrasekhar ji: see the link:

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     14 November 2014

I completely differ from the opinion of our Mr Kapil and Ravindra P. As in such situation what will be authenticity of the foreign court verdicts if those has been awarded as under consideration of the Indian Prevailing Laws and in that situation every NRI has to come again India just to contest a fresh Divorce decree care.

Every Foreign Court Judgement is admissible in India if the decision has been taken in consideration of the Indian personal and civil Laws.

So here the above marriage stands dissolve in the eyes of Law and there is no need to file a fresh case in India or in any way get it authenticated in India as when it is already an absolute thing there is no need of its second attestation.

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     14 November 2014

For Ready Ref:

Mumbai: Once a decree of divorce is granted by a foreign court after the parties submit to its jurisdiction and contest the case, the marriage stands validly dissolved, the Bombay High Court has held. 

"As such nothing further survives in the marriage. Therefore the conjugal rights cannot be restituted and hence the petition for conjugal rights or even any other petition cannot proceed and must be dismissed as infructuous," ruled Justice Roshan Dalvi recently. 

The Judge observed this while quashing an order of a family court in India which had dismissed husband's petition for rejecting wife's plea for restitution of conjugal rights.

"It is an abuse of legal process to adjudicate upon matters already decided by foreign Courts which are conclusive under the Indian Laws," Justice Dalvi noted and set aside the family court's order of July 31.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     14 November 2014

@Anand Bali.  

Sir,

Kapil and me are of the same opinion as you are saying.  Kindly go through our replies once again. 

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     15 November 2014

I agree with Mr. Kapil's advice.

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     15 November 2014

What I have to say is partially a repetition of the above statements but with practical implications explained.  Based upon applicable law in India, if the two parties had consented to the jurisdiction of a foreign court by expressly participating in the divorce proceedings and were not denied full access to that legal system, then the divorce is final in the eyes of the law in India. Simple to understand but in practice leaves a few loop holes open.  If the other party has now changed his/her mind, he/she can cook up some facts such as been under medical treatment for mental depression or psychological disorder or was coerced or threatened, bla... bla... bla...  In your case that does not appear to be the case.

If you do go ahead and file a divorce in India separately, you will be opening the proverbial pandora's box. He can contest the divorce because the fact that you have filed for a divorce in India means an express acknowledgment that you do not consider the foreign decree to be final.  

While usually it is a good strategy to address a problem head-on, this is a situation where it will not be wise to do so. You should go ahead with life as if you are divorced with the foreign divorce decree in your hand. If you do go ahead with a second marriage and someone raises an objection claiming your second marriage to be bigamy, then and only then you produce the foreign decree and defend yourself.  Your strategy should be based on the saying: Let sleeping dogs lie.  By initiating a fresh divorce proceeding in India, you will be waking a sleeping but nasty bull dog. Do you want to do that?

Stay away from Indian Courts, if possible.  Enter them, only if you must. Here you clearly have a choice.  Exercise it.  Stay away...

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 November 2014

Though as per law, a divorce decree by a court in a foreign country for a marriage solemnised in India is not valid in India and can be challenged, the practical solution can be had from the opinion and suggestion made by Mr. Samir N.  You may follow the suggestions which are very simple and practicable.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     16 November 2014

The advise of Samir N cannot be brushed away.  It is a good advise.  I agree with him.

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     17 November 2014

1. I have a question here as to if  one of the divorcee marries in India later on and then his divorced wife/husband brings a charge of bigamy thereupon then what will happen at that time? 

2. He or She will be/ may be punished for not taking the decree of divorce in India which he/she could have easily taken eailer by submitting the MCD decree availed from the foreigh court,

3. In other words, the 'sleeping dog' may wake up any time. It is better to take the decree of divorce from India immediately after the MCD decree was granted by the foreign court,

4. In that case the 'sleeping dog' will be made to sleep for good.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     17 November 2014

@Rekha Somasundaram,

You have no need at all to get your divorce decree ratified in India.  Your earlier marriage was dissolved by divorce decree for all purposes and intents.  You can go ahead with your next marriage without a hitch and you will never face any problem due to the foreign divorce decree.  My above opinion is on the following grounds:

1.  You both submitted to the jurisdiction of Malaysian Court.

2.  The ground of divorce was mutual consent, which is a valid ground under Hindu Marriage Act as well as Special Marriage Act.

3.  Neither you nor your husband can question the validity of the divorce decree as you both appeared before the competent Court in Malaysia.  The court which granted the divorce decree is a competent court.  You both are also barred to question whether the court that granted divorce is competent or not, at a later stage with malafide intentions, as you both submitted yourselves.

4.  If your ex-husband or you, in the next marriage registration time to the application attach the divorce decree, then your would be spouses knowing fully well about the divorce decree passed by the Malaysian Court, cannot file any case of bigamy against you or your husband.  No other party has got locus standi(competent to file a case) on this point.

Now let us see the Section 13 and 14 of C.P.C., which refer about the foreign decrees.  Bare reading of those sections will dispel the nagging doubt in your mind as well as other readers facing the similar situation.

13. When foreign judgment not conclusive.

A foreign judgment shall be conclusive as to any matter thereby directly adjudicated upon between the same parties or between parties under whom they or any of them claim litigating under the same title except-

(a) where it has not been pronounced by a Court of competent jurisdiction;

(b) where it has not been given on the merits of the case;

(c) where it appears on the face of the proceedings to be founded on an incorrect view of international law or a refusal to recognise the law of

1[India] in cases in which such law is applicable;

(d) where the proceedings in which the judgment was obtained are opposed to natural justice;

(e) where it has been obtained by fraud;

(f) where it sustains a claim founded on a breach of any law in force in 1[India].

1. Subs. by Act 2 of 1951, sec. 3, for “the States” (w.e.f. 1-4-1951)

14. Presumption as to foreign judgments.

The Court shall presume upon the production of any document purporting to be a certified copy of a foreign judgment that such judgment was pronounced by a Court of competent jurisdiction, unless the contrary appears on the record; but such presumption may be displaced by proving want of jurisdiction.

You can see that the divorce decree obtained by you meet all the contingencies put in Section 13 (a) to (f) and hence it is valid.  Go through the Section 14 above, there is a presumption of validity of the foreign decree. 

And finally, in most of the foreign divorce decree cases, it will not be possible for both the parties to present in Indian Courts and get a fresh divorce decree nor to get the earlier foreign divorce decree ratified.  Further, in C.P.C., there is no provision to get the foreign decree ratified. In Indian courts, only such foreign divorce decrees have been challenged where one party aggrieved in respect of such foreign decree.  If both the parties mutually consented and obtained the divorce decree by competent court, they have never been challenged in Indian courts and they can never be challenged. 

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register